My First Organised Meet and Welsh Conversation!! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: My First Organised Meet and Welsh Conversation!!

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Iestyn wrote:I hope that you slap yourself on the back so hard that it bruises, because what you have achieved is phenomenal.

Just in case you need it...

'Aw! Mae'n brifo!'

'Mae gen i glais!'

'Mae'n rhaid i mi fynd i'r fferyllfa i brynu Arnica i roi ar fy nghlais'

:lol:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Aran » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes, what everyone else has said already...:D

:llongyf:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Sionned » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:56 pm

Catrin Lliar wrote:
Iestyn wrote:I hope that you slap yourself on the back so hard that it bruises, because what you have achieved is phenomenal.

Just in case you need it...

'Aw! Mae'n brifo!'

'Mae gen i glais!'

'Mae'n rhaid i mi fynd i'r fferyllfa i brynu Arnica i roi ar fy nghlais'

:lol:

Image Image Image
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby crystaltipps65 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi Vaughan
What an amazing post and what an amazing achievement! I'm feel so proud for you and for your daughter ! :star: :star:

You have certainly broken down a huge barrier and all your hard work has paid off in a fantastic way, there will be no stopping you now!

Have a fantastic time on Saturday and take the lead and use your Welsh; You will be surprised how many Welsh speakers will come out of the woodwork and those who don't, will apologise embarrassingly! (I know I was one of them :dafad: ) Most important though is to enjoy :dance: :dance:

Chwarae teg, Ti wedi gwneud da iawn :clap: :clap: Na fe!

Jealous that I can't be there :mrgreen: !! (Dw i'n gweithio)
Tricia
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:11 am

:llongyf: :dawnsio: :dawnsio: :dawnsio: :llongyf:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby SJ » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:59 am

Llongyfarchiadau Vaughn! I'm sure you'll enjoy your weekend in Llanelli and there will be plenty of opportunity to use your welsh! :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby vgh50 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:05 am

Thank you everyone!! :star:

It's great to be able to share a moment like this with people who have helped me get to where I am today - so thanks to you all, because I couldn't have done this without you or this course!! :D

Thanks also to my new Welsh speaking friend who like a lot of you have said, was the one to reach out and make this moment possible; we will no doubt be getting together again soon. As we spoke about yesterday, perhaps this will be the start of the South West of England meetings? :smile:

Thank you to all the wonderful Welsh speaking people on this forum for making the last 5 months so special (wow is that all it is, 5 months :shock: ) I would never have believed I could have achieved so much in such a short amount of time.

A special thank you to Iestyn and Cat and Aran and Catrin for not only creating this course but for steering me back on course when I started to wander. For your words of encouragement and for your words of wisdom too.

Iechyd da pawb!! :smile:

Vaughan and Caitlin
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks for reminding me, Vaughan.

When you next meet the mysterious SSiWer :wink: , could you thank him on my behalf as well. I'm assuming that he's not on the forum, at least regularly, and may not realise how much the course relies on positive people like him willing to make the effort to help others. He has been the spark that has revolutionised your Welsh speaking life: Many many Welsh learners have far more Welsh than you (and the majority of other SSiWers), yet never get the opportunity that this man gave you to really become Welsh speakers.

And for everyone else here - pass it on! Invite a local SSiWer to meet for lunch. You might just spark another vgh moment!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby RedGreenInBlue » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 am

Vaughan, I thought you said you were nervous of going on Skype - and yet here you are, chatting away in Welsh "in the wild"! :D

:llongyf:
Chaiff y chwyldro mo'i ddangos ar S4/C,
Ddim hyd yn oed wysnos ar ôl iddo ymddangos ar Sianel 4
efo cyflwyniad gan Melvyn Bragg…
Achos fydd y chwyldro ddim ar y teledu, gyfaill.
RedGreenInBlue
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 am

Iestyn wrote:And for everyone else here - pass it on! Invite a local SSiWer to meet for lunch. You might just spark another vgh moment!

What a fabulous idea! Invite a fellow SSiWer for lunch/dinner/the weekend/a G&T in the garden! Surely deserves it's own thread! :D
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind