Made a complete arse of myself | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Made a complete arse of myself

Postby Owain » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:45 pm

gwiwer wrote:In a welsh language bookshop I made the rash decision that I was going to ask the price in welsh. This was despite the fact I haven't yet covered the unit on money and shopping in mynediad. Ended up asking what time the book was (I knew it started with "faint" but got a bit lost after that) and getting all embarassed but the owner was very kind, understood what I was trying to ask and praised me for having a go. :faint:
Next time I'll try to put my brain into gear first before opening my mouth. :wink:

Good on you for having a go and trust me you are not on your own. I remember learning that the Welsh for 'auntie' is modryb (among other words) and shortly after learned that 'modur' could be used for car (though I know believe it to be more accurately 'motor') anyway, a first language Welsh speaker used to come into the place where I worked, naturally enough I used to try speaking to him in Welsh.

One day he turned up in a new car - have you guessed yet? yep, I ended up asking him "Oes modryb newydd 'da ti? " For months afterwards he would come in and tell me that his new auntie was still going well. :lol:
Owain
SSiW Member

Postby Daryl Owen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:17 am

Well done butty for having the guts to try. So is it faint ydy coineg or what?
Daryl Owen

Postby RobertBruce » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am

Faint yw e? - How much is it?

That should cover it in the most simple fashion. :wink:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Daryl Owen » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 am

Diolch a diolch for y link i resize llyn :clap:
Daryl Owen

Postby RobertBruce » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:01 am

Daryl Owen wrote:Diolch a diolch for y link i resize llyn :clap:

Dim probs! :D
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Callie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Having a go is most important :mrgreen: and hey... anyone who is not a native is allowed to make mistakes....

not quite fitting in there but a German once made a very funny mistake in a forum I'm in...

instead of writing never lie TO a policemen she wrote never lie ON a policemen... and you might imagine what happened :oops: Just glad this wasn't me writing that down ;-)

The only Welsh I have used so far is Bore da and nos da but I was brave enough to write I am going to sleep on Wednesday and eveyone understood *yippieh*

Can't wait to try out a bit more once I'm further than lesson 4 :lol: :lol:
Callie
SSiW Member

Postby Cathifach » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Having a go is most important and hey... anyone who is not a native is allowed to make mistakes....

I've spent the last few days on the Llŷn Peninsula. On the first day I asked somebody in Welsh if they were OK and when they asked me back I replied in Spanish! Derrr...I felt such a plonker at failing one of the most easiest starter conversations! :oops: I then started to wonder whether I've been wasting my time and should give up now before I continued to make a fool of myself. Thankfully, I had a few more attempts with other people, not saying very much and not understanding much in return, but when I did try I got smiles and positive responses. One of the best things for me was sitting in a cafe with my family and asking the waitress if she spoke Welsh and then ordering (probably not very accurately) our meals. As I had "I don't speak Welsh very well yet but I'm going to try" off pat, it was worth saying it just to see the looks of surprise and bewilderment on my daughter's and husband's face. They were impressed even if no-one else was. :lol: I think you've got to be prepared for a bit of embarrassment and mistakes when you take the plunge to try out a new language, but it doesn't half make you feel proud of yourself for having a try. :wink:
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:13 pm

cathytheflute wrote: it doesn't half make you feel proud of yourself for having a try. :wink:

Da iawn ti!! :star: Well done that girl!!
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Spenny » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 pm

cathytheflute wrote:Having a go is most important and hey... anyone who is not a native is allowed to make mistakes....

I've spent the last few days on the Llŷn Peninsula. On the first day I asked somebody in Welsh if they were OK and when they asked me back I replied in Spanish!

Ha! In my panic, I floundered through the 93 ways of saying yes that I could think of and settled on "Ja!"

Tschüs!
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Cathifach » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Ha! In my panic, I floundered through the 93 ways of saying yes that I could think of and settled on "Ja!"

So glad it's not just me then, Spenny! :lol: After ordering my meals at the cafe I later asked the waitress how bad my Welsh had been. Her answer was that she didn't speak Welsh very well. At the time I thought perhaps she was being diplomatic by not directly answering my question ( a politician in the making maybe?) but it was only later when I heard her talking to some other customers in English that I realised there was not a trace of a Welsh accent in her which made me feel a little better :wink: I just assumed that on the Llŷn peninsula nearly everybody spoke Welsh but it isn't necessarily the case.
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind