Made a complete arse of myself | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Made a complete arse of myself

Postby gwiwer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 am

In a welsh language bookshop I made the rash decision that I was going to ask the price in welsh. This was despite the fact I haven't yet covered the unit on money and shopping in mynediad. Ended up asking what time the book was (I knew it started with "faint" but got a bit lost after that) and getting all embarassed but the owner was very kind, understood what I was trying to ask and praised me for having a go. :faint:
Next time I'll try to put my brain into gear first before opening my mouth. :wink:
"a tree-climbing rodent of taste and distinction"
gwiwer
SSiW Member

Re: Made a complete arse of myself

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:45 am

gwiwer wrote:but the owner was very kind, understood what I was trying to ask and praised me for having a go.

That's the most important thing to remember about the whole experience.

Dal ati! :smile:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Abersoch » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

:lol: Ah, someone after my own heart. Brilliant! :D That's exactly the sort of thing I'd do.

Well done for having a go, though. I still have that particular chamber of delights to explore yet with just over a week to go to landfall in Llŷn. :shock:
Abersoch
The Magnificent Saith

Postby SparkyCola » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:14 pm

^ Ditto! :D

I think Da Iawn for trying! :clap: :star:

Sparky
SparkyCola
SSiW Angel

Postby Dee » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:03 pm

gwiwer wrote:In a welsh language bookshop I made the rash decision that I was going to ask the price in welsh.

I ordered a cup of tea in Welsh yesterday and I knew I could manage that bit, but I also knew I wouldn't understand the price ... so I kept one eye on the cash register display :wink: , then pretended I'd understood
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Spenny » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Dee wrote:
gwiwer wrote:In a welsh language bookshop I made the rash decision that I was going to ask the price in welsh.

I ordered a cup of tea in Welsh yesterday and I knew I could manage that bit, but I also knew I wouldn't understand the price ... so I kept one eye on the cash register display :wink: , then pretended I'd understood

Works in French and German and English too. (Why worry about Welsh when half the kids can't speak English in England!*).

*Bitter & twisted old bloke moment. Normal service will be resumed shortly.
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm

Ooh, talk to me about the slipping standards of English! [/equally bitter ex-teacher mode] That could be the next project - SaySomethinginEnglishProperlyforHeavensSake.com

Otherwise - gwiwer - CONGRATULATIONS! You've taken the most important step of all - getting out there and using it.

The more mistakes you make, the better - the closer you are to getting it right.

A very good friend of mine (currently playing piano in the background while waiting for me to get off the computer!) has always said that none of her students can even begin to count themselves as riders until they've fallen off at LEAST 20 times.

And whenever one does get close to 20, she moves the goalposts...:)

But it's true. Embrace and celebrate (and try not to repeat) your mistakes - they are the lifeblood of learning.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Aran wrote:Ooh, talk to me about the slipping standards of English! [/equally bitter ex-teacher mode] That could be the next project - SaySomethinginEnglishProperlyforHeavensSake.com

That'll be when I defect to GetWivTheProgramGrandad-WeIsNotTalkinLikeYouForNuttin.com :wink:

Aran wrote:A very good friend of mine has always said that none of her students can even begin to count themselves as riders until they've fallen off at LEAST 20 times.

Cripes! I hope it's horse riding and not motorbikes! :smile:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Gwiwer - that's what makes learning a language such fun!

I remember when I was confident enough to buy breakfast form a boulangerie in France getting wide grins every morning durinf the order. Ithought they were impressed that I was speaking such good French until my mother-in-law pointed out that I should be asking for Pain au Raisins - Raisin Bread - rather than Pain de Raison - The Bread of Reason...

Plus I can think of many books that I've read quite recently that I should have asked "How much time will this book cost me?". I may have left them alone if I'd known :wink:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby SparkyCola » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:19 pm

LOL @ Iestyn :lol:

I've always heard the riding thing to be 6 - even then I'm miles off. With a measly three falls, I'm lightyears away from 20! Still I'm happy to remain mediocre rather than aim to fall off 17 more times ;)

Sparky
SparkyCola
SSiW Angel

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind