musing on speaking Welsh with native speakers | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

musing on speaking Welsh with native speakers

Postby Emma Reese » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm

I learned early while I was staying in Llanberis, the best way to speak Welsh with native speakers is to start every conversation in Welsh as if that were what I'd been doing all my life even if I was shaking inside. And then surprisingly, most of them responded in Welsh as if that were the most natural thing for them to do too (to speak Welsh with an Asian looking woman!) Some of them did insist on speaking English but never mind, I kept speaking Welsh. Then pretty soon, speaking Welsh became so natural that I couldn't think of any other way. As a matter of fact, almost the only person I had lengthy conversation with in English during my two-week stay in Wales was the English woman of the house I was lodging in Bala.

Often times one of the big hurdles for learners to speak Welsh outside the classroom is fear of speaking it. I hope my experience will be of help in overcoming it.
Emma Reese

Re: musing on speaking Welsh with native speakers

Postby SJ » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences Emma. :star: Everyone seems to be having positive experiences of speaking Welsh on their travels.

I hope you don't mind, but I've moved your post to "Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind" Forum as it seemed to fit better.

Diolch yn fawr.
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 pm

Sound advice. Just do it. No-one ever drowned from getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

as if that were the most natural thing for them to do too to speak Welsh with an Asian looking woman!

You would be surprised how many non-white Welsh speakers it's possible to come across in North and West Wales, so it probably was natural. It only seems to be the English (and maybe French) speakers who have a hang-up about learning additional languages - everyone else seems to accept multilingualism as a normal part of everyday life.
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby dweiss » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:14 am

Great post, Emma. A joy to read, and very encouraging. When I finally get to Wales, I will try to follow suit and not be nervous! Best wishes :smile:

Dani
dweiss

Postby Aran » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 am

Great advice, Emma Reese!...:D And great to hear about your experiences, too - definitely the right way to go about it, and excellent to hear that you had such all-round positive responses...:)

RobertBruce wrote:No-one ever drowned from getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

What a fantastic quote. You know when you hear/read something, and you just know you're going to start using it yourself?...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Abersoch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:55 pm

RobertBruce wrote:No-one ever drowned from getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

You haven't heard my attempts to get the hang of saying "llefrith" yet. I might not drown but the people I talk to might. :sad: I'm going on holiday to my favourite haunt in Wales in a fortnight but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for me to shop for milk using Welsh just yet, in case I cause undue distress or alarm. Aran, would it be possible to include the Welsh for: "Help, Police, there's a madman drooling in my shop!" in a forthcoming podcast - just so I can get a head start if the shop assistant makes a sudden dash for the phone?
Abersoch
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Abersoch wrote:Aran, would it be possible to include the Welsh for: "Help, Police, there's a madman drooling in my shop!" in a forthcoming podcast - just so I can get a head start if the shop assistant makes a sudden dash for the phone?

:lol:

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! How's the course going so far?
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Abersoch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 pm

Aran wrote:Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! How's the course going so far?

Well, up to lesson 6 so far and the learning curve is steepening somewhat. I'm not too sure what you would have made of my attempts to get the hang of "I will/I will not/you will/you will not" - each of which seemed to be more of a tongue-twister than the last (especially where the word "not" is involved). "Ok", I thought, "bit of a challenge, here but don't worry, I'll soon get it". So I plodded on, sounding rather like I'd just come back from the dentist with a mouthful of local anaesthetic...then I discovered that there's YET ANOTHER way to say "yes" and "no" for the future tense too!!!! Argh! :wow:

And I have to admit that, when you first mentioned how to say "no I will not", I thought "Oh come on! You're making this up now!" :faint:

I seem to have started to enter the phase where I get it right more often if I speak without actually stopping to think of the answer. I need to learn to trust my first instinct because, If I stop to think about the answer, I find that I'm starting to correct myself to the wrong reply (plus I get this weird urge to say "do not" when I mean "do". I've gotten into the habit of adding "dim" when it's not actually required - which is going to make conversations interesting.

I remember the advice of an elderly Welsh friend who I worked with in the US. We were talking about language and I asked him why Welsh has so many little words in it. He said: "One thing you have to remember about the Welsh - they'll never use three words where six will do"

At the time I thought he was just being funny. :lol: Now I'm not so sure. :-|
Abersoch
The Magnificent Saith

Postby gwiwer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:45 am

Abersoch wrote:
Aran wrote:Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you! How's the course going so far?

Well, up to lesson 6 so far and the learning curve is steepening somewhat. I'm not too sure what you would have made of my attempts to get the hang of "I will/I will not/you will/you will not" - each of which seemed to be more of a tongue-twister than the last (especially where the word "not" is involved). "Ok", I thought, "bit of a challenge, here but don't worry, I'll soon get it". So I plodded on, sounding rather like I'd just come back from the dentist with a mouthful of local anaesthetic...then I discovered that there's YET ANOTHER way to say "yes" and "no" for the future tense too!!!! Argh! :wow:

And I have to admit that, when you first mentioned how to say "no I will not", I thought "Oh come on! You're making this up now!" :faint:

I seem to have started to enter the phase where I get it right more often if I speak without actually stopping to think of the answer. I need to learn to trust my first instinct because, If I stop to think about the answer, I find that I'm starting to correct myself to the wrong reply (plus I get this weird urge to say "do not" when I mean "do". I've gotten into the habit of adding "dim" when it's not actually required - which is going to make conversations interesting.

I had to smile when I read this cos I'm at the same point and feeling exactly the same. I keep wanting to say "va va voom" rather than "fydda i ddim" :lol:
"a tree-climbing rodent of taste and distinction"
gwiwer
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:59 am

Abersoch wrote:I seem to have started to enter the phase where I get it right more often if I speak without actually stopping to think of the answer.

You're close to the Holy Grail of language learning, then! That's exactly where you want to be - when it stops being an academic study, and becomes something that you just use to communicate. The more you relax about it, the easier it will be...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind