welsh encounter = epic fail | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

welsh encounter = epic fail

Postby dee393 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:54 pm

I was recently on a weekend away in betws y coed and in a shop buying
some bbq things, my partner was buying lotto beside me and spoke to the
lady in welsh, i got the 'go ahead' eyeball from him.
but i just couldnt do it, i froze, panic,
i left the shopafter saying thankyou in english having missed my
first opportunity.
my partner followed me out and i said, what should you have said
and i replied in welsh ' i want to buy this please' & 'thank you'

I just couldnt do it and it bugged me all the rest of the day. :cry: :cry: :cry:
i dont think i'll ever be able to speak to a strangerin welsh. boo :shush:
dee393

Re: welsh encounter = epic fail

Postby Spenny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:17 pm

dee393 wrote:I was recently on a weekend away in betws y coed and in a shop buying
first opportunity.

I just couldnt do it and it bugged me all the rest of the day. :cry: :cry: :cry:
i dont think i'll ever be able to speak to a strangerin welsh. boo :shush:

Try in the Tourist Information centres. You will know that they will be bi-lingual, and they will be so welcoming for even a smidge of Welsh, you'll wonder why it was a problem. :)
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby HarmonicNature » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:53 pm

dee393 wrote:I was recently on a weekend away in betws y coed and in a shop buying
first opportunity.

i dont think i'll ever be able to speak to a stranger in welsh. boo :shush:

Dee, how many other up-and-coming Welsh speakers have done the same thing? That was your first ever try at speaking Welsh with a stranger, so it's no surprise that it ended that way. You have no reason to feel "down", as there will be plenty of other opportunities for speaking Welsh, and you will eventually feel brave enough to jump right in and start off in Welsh. Confidence comes with time, and you must be patient; but, remember, as Aran and Iestyn have said umpteen times - "Don't worry about it!" Before you know it, you will be speaking Welsh with lots of strangers. :D Just remember that a few months ago, you hardly knew how to put together a sentence in Welsh - and now you're ready to start using your Welsh in public! :seren:
Please feel free to correct me or my Welsh! :-)
Does anyone like organ music? http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandeBombarde16. :D
Does anyone like classical singing? http://www.youtube.com/user/HarmonicNature. :D
View my artwork and photography here: http://HarmonicNature.imagekind.com :-)
HarmonicNature

Postby dee393 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:36 am

Thanks Harmony
a lovely reply. i will keep trying and maybe next time i will be ready.
it just bugged me because i try talking with my partner in welsh
but when faced with a stranger i just freeze.
the day will come... :-?
dee393

Postby Iestyn » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:12 am

Dee - that is not a failure: you put yourself in a position where you could have used your Welsh, and then you didn't... So what? Take it from me - you will do that again and again. But it is not the times that you don't speak Welsh that count, it's the one time that you do, and that will happen. A cheery diolch at the end of the conversation counts however quickly you run away afterwards :wink: , and starting with "bore da" or "hylo!" before continuing in English may give you a little boost to try something more adventurous.

But remember, it's all a game! How many times have I "failed" while playing badminton? Roughly 21 times a game (or 15 if we play to 15!) I try to hit the Shuttlecock and miss, or I hit it and it goes out or into the net... Sometimes I hit it well, but can do nothing with what comes back at me... That sounds familiar to anyone speaking a new language! But I'm not there for perfection, I'm there for the fun of it, so it doesn't really matter!

Really - well done for being in the position. Just be there again, whenever you can, and soon you will be wondering what the problem was!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Gelis » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:18 am

I think people often underestimate just how terrifying it can feel to speak to a stranger in another language that you don't feel entirely sure about.It makes a lot of sense that you find it easier to talk to your partner in Welsh at the moment but if you keep putting yourself in situations where there is the possibility of trying out some Welsh I'm sure that one day you will surprise yourself and feel brave enough to try...Just be relaxed about it, there really is no hurry...

You're learning new things to say all the time and improving your ability to speak Welsh with every lesson.The confidence will come with time...You've much to be proud about with the progress you're making Dee.... :star:

All the best
Alison
Last edited by Gelis on Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
>^.^<
Gelis
SSiW Member

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 am

Don't be too harsh on yourself, the learning process will always involve setbacks, that is what makes it so much fun. What is the point in arriving at our destination with no experience, laugher, and lots of fun on the way. Just keep pecking away at it and you'll be really surprised at what you will accomplish.
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 am

You've got some great answers here, Dee, and I hope they give you a boost. They've certainly encouraged me to consider playing Iestyn at badminton one of these days...:wink:

But there's something else important to say.

Your first Welsh conversations don't have to be with strangers! It is difficult, and frightening, and easy to run away from. But hey, what lesson are you on? Traditional course learners wouldn't expect to try and speak to a stranger until they'd been learning for years, in some cases...:wink:

And you've got a Welsh-speaking partner - ideal! So you can practice all your Welsh whenever you want, more and more often, and eventually it will feel easy enough for you to say something casually in Welsh in a shop.

Don't pressurise yourself about it - it's not the key part of learning the language - the key part of learning the language is practising what you learn with your partner, and trying to use a bit more of your Welsh every week. If you do that, the talking to strangers bit will take care of itself in due course...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby llanfairfach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:16 pm

I had a similar failure today :sad: , but I've lived in a predominately Welsh speaking area for over 25 years and have been learning (properly) for 2 years now. It happens.

So please don't be downhearted and you mustn't dwell on. Trust me, don't.

As Aran said, talk to each other as much as you can, that really does help. Partly because you're both aware of each others ability and also it's great fun. You'll gain confidence, learn faster and even learn more by introducing new vocabulary. We have dictionaries installed on the phones and a dictionary in almost every room (we don't have that many rooms mind).

Pob lwc.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh.

Finished Lesson 22 Course 3 (Northern).
llanfairfach
SSiW Member

Postby Spenny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 pm

I was called by a customer today who lives nearby, I picked up the Welsh accent and asked if she could speak Welsh. A few Welsh words were exchanged, she was worried about losing her Welsh, so I've linked her up with my local Welshman Aled :)

See, doesn't take much.
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind