Welsh encounters of the pub kind  | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Welsh encounters of the pub kind 

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Don't worry. I will go home soon and I won't have much to report - just in case you are getting sick of my regular reports.

Tonight, I went back to the Plu. It is carnival in Llanystumdwy, and the pub was pretty full. One of the people I have met through Ty Newydd was there. She said come and sit with our group. Wel, it was lovely. I met everyone in Welsh - you are right Aran, wine helps.  The man sitting next to me used to be a Welsh teacher and he very graciously kept me talking for ages, asking lots of questions. I had such a nice time.

Everyone urged me to come back again tomorrow. 
Elizabeth Jane
http://hannercymraes.blogspot.com

Please feel free to correct my Welsh
Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Re: Welsh encounters of the pub kind 

Postby dinas » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am

The Plu is a great pub and the landlord, Seamus (Ian) a good old, Pen-y-groes, boy. I spent many quality hours supping with him in the past. Your guaranteed a good time in his company. He also speaks, Esperanto and a few times we would converse togethar.
Incidently, they run a welsh learners group in the pub...Though its full at present: according to their web-site.
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:10 am

Yes, very friendly. I woke up this morning remembering all my mistakes. My best - someone asked me if I spoke any other languages. I said: wnesi dysgu Japanese mewn ysbyty (i learned Japanese in school). There was a stunned silence. Then the kind teacher man said: I think you mean ysgol (school).
We all had a good laugh at that.
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 am

Brilliant! Mistakes are definitely the fastest way to conversational success. You'll never have problems with remembering ysbyty/ysgol from now on.

Mind you, how fantastic would it have been if you could have said 'No, matey, I *said* ysbyty and I *meant* ysbyty. It's a long story'...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Bryn-Daf » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:11 pm

Mistakes are definitely a great way of reinforcing the more accurate word or phrase! I can tell from experience :lol:
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 am

Bryn-Daf wrote:Mistakes are definitely a great way of reinforcing the more accurate word or phrase! I can tell from experience :lol:

Well, I am making plenty, even in English, it seems, reading that post again. 
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind