Welsh encounters of the library kind. | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Welsh encounters of the library kind.

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Today, I went to Criccieth library. I wanted to borrow some children's beginner reader books - for myself. 
It would be another chance to speak, I reasoned. And as I work as a librarian, I know how often people come to the library for a little chat. It is an important part of the service, as far as I am concerned. Today it was my turn to be on the receiving end.

I started with my opening line. Dw i ddim yn siarad Cymraeg yn dda iawn (i don't speak Welsh very well). Followed by: dw i'n dod o Awstralia - I come from Australia. For some reason, the later always gets a good response. I am not sure whether this is due to the sheer distance, and the complete unlikelihood of an Australian speaking Welsh, or a general perception of our low intelligence. Anyway, once I say that, people are ready to forgive all manner of errors. 

The librarian was no exception. But whereas others in Criccieth, have often slipped into English. Or like the lady at the postoffice in Tremadog, they answer my Welsh questions, with a quizzical glance and an uncertain query of their own: do you want me to answer in Welsh.

The librarian was different. And although we often did slip into English, she was the one who kept steering the conversation back into Cymraeg. Altering her sentences, simplifying, adding opportunities, by asking me where I cane from, where I was staying, about my Welsh class in Melbourne, etc, etc. She wasn't being nosey, I can assure you. She just got it! Of course, I would expect nothing less from a fellow Llyfrygellydd.

Librarians Rock!
Elizabeth Jane
http://hannercymraes.blogspot.com

Please feel free to correct my Welsh
Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Re: Welsh encounters of the library kind.

Postby leiafee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:43 pm

How lovely!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Lostforwords » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:45 pm

Wnes i fwynhau hynny – diolch am rannu. :wink:
Dw i'n bwriadu i fyw am byth - iawn hyd yma.
"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Lostforwords
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:53 pm

That's the perfect encounter, EJ - Da iawn ti for getting yourself into the situation, and Da iwn the Criccieth Librarian! :clap:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Cer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:03 am

LISers are :cool:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby warren_davies » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:35 am

Sounds like Criccieth library is worth a visit the next time I'm passing!

I always find the library a great place to practise my Welsh. In the library in Rhosllanerchrugog the librarians themselves slip seamlessly between English and Welsh all the time and are not even vaguely perturbed when you do the same.

Visting the library in Llangollen, the librarians here have realised that I am learning Welsh and have been very supportive of my slowness and general unresponsiveness to unexpected questions like, 'You have a fine to pay, do you want to pay it now?'

One librarian won't speak to me in English and will persist in Welsh even when I'm plainly struggling, which I think is brilliant as it really boosts my confidence for next time I encounter the same situation.
warren_davies
SSiW Member

Postby Lurch2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am

Excellent!

I was going to ask at Carmarthen library where the museum was in Welsh as I thought Librarians might be a breed apart- and a better breed in this way! Thought they might be more willing to see me flounder and just watch! Unfortunately in a bit of a hurry.

But this post just made me realise there are loads of libraries where you could do this. In fact the last member of staff I talked to at Swansea library was learning Welsh, so even there!

A good place to try and find someone who may be a little more patient and with whom you need to speak about something.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 am

I'm guessing that a librarian is generally under less pressure than a shop assistant etc - a library is so much more relaxed than a shop.

Anyone else think that its a bit ironic that library is shaping up to be the best place to talk? :shock:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Aran » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:58 am

+1 for librarians...:)

Maybe we need a list of libraries on DoSomethinginWelsh, Iestyn?...:)

And now - should I add a word censor that will automatically correct the peculiarly partially-anglicised Criccieth to the Welsh Cricieth, or should I embark on a long term propaganda campaign with single issue fanaticism?...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:45 am

Aran wrote:partially-anglicised Criccieth to the Welsh Cricieth

No need to ask where you stand on the "sawl c sydd yn 'Criccieth'?" question, then? :lol:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind