Helo! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Helo!

Postby Lurch2 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 pm

Well, on lesson 24 of the course, and on a good day able to get the answers in in time. :party:

Have put off 25 for a bit, and redoing earlier lessons, but have now been overtaken by a friend I am learning Welsh with :ing:

So, lesson 25 tonight I think.

This is a marvellous course. After years of learning Welsh through books, starting and restarting, knowing about the grammar and then forgetting it and relearning it without ever having the confidence to actually speak it to anyone but cats and dogs, I have finally had some- very simple - conversations in Welsh.

I had been meaning to go to the Saturday coffee morning in Ty Tawe in Swansea for some time, and got to one point where I walked up to the door, took a deep breath and... turned round and nes i rhedeg bant! :oops:

The next week, I went again, and walked through the door- and they were all at the Urdd.

This was not going well, but the next week I managed to catch the very end of the morning, and had a good conversation with the two people who were still there! Very one sided, but all in Welsh!

Also, I had to visit Glangwili hospital in Carmarthen. On the way there, stopped at Cross Hands to put money on my phone in the Co-op. Two behind the counter welsh to each other, so I was going to ask in Welsh- but again, failed at the last moment and spoke in English, scurrying away shame-faced and defeated.

But had to put petrol in my car before leaving, and something about the accent of the bloke in the kiosk told me he probably spoke Welsh, so, deep breath and... "rhif tri".
And he answered in Welsh. A very short conversation in Welsh ensued- "Ten pounds". "Do you have a (nectar or whatever) card?" "Na." "Do you want one?" "No thanks". "Oh, I have to ask!"
Very short, 'tis true, but my first conversation with a stranger 'in the wild!'
It was lovely to understand "mae rhaid i fi gofyn", said with a conspiratorial smile as if to say "daft, isn't it!"
And I am glad he went on speaking Welsh- I obviously didn't say enough to let him know I was a learner!

In Glangwili hospital I was struck by the fact that the nurses and porters were speaking Welsh- not surprised that people speak Welsh in Carmarthen of course, but that it was used so widely in that particular working environment. Even my (Cymro Cymraeg) father was pleasantly surprised at the way it was the first language of work in the hospital.

So, I shall become a full member of this site before long to sail the uncharted waters of the intermediate course, make going to the Saturday coffee morning a regular thing and maybe make more visits to Carmarthen, and hopefully continue increasing my confidence!

Little things to be pleased at, I know, but lovely to use Welsh in 'real life' for the first time! And sorry for the length of this post!
:diolch:
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Re: Helo!

Postby Aran » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:56 pm

What a great first post!...:seren:

A very warm welcome to the forum, and many, many congratulations on having done so extremely well. By the time you've done the vocab lessons for Course 1 (on the download page, scroll down a bit) you should find that you have more and more opportunities to jump in and use what you've learnt - and that's the real key.

The fact that you've already had a go at speaking to people is enormously important - it will get easier and easier from here on in...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Iestyn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Lurch2 - If you approach a situation 1000 times and run away every time, then you are allowed to be shame-faced, but if you on the 1001th time you go for it, then the other 1000 don't count. Do not underestimate how difficult it is to talk to people in a language that you are not 100% confident in, when you both share a language that you are 100% confident in. That step is the step that will turn you from a confident talker to mp3s into a real life everyday Welsh speaker.
:seren:

Great to hear that you are planning more Welsh adventures - enjoy every one of them, whether that's because you do so well, or whether you walk away with (yet another) amusing story of how you got something amusingly wrong. It's all part of growing up, as they say!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Lurch2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Iestyn wrote:Do not underestimate how difficult it is to talk to people in a language that you are not 100% confident in, when you both share a language that you are 100% confident in.

Indeed. I was thinking of saying "oh, dw i'n dod o Patagonia, a dw i ddim yn gallu siarad Saesneg- dim ond Sbaeneg a dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg." :wink:

Or I could wear a big round straw hat, pin my eyes back with sellotape and say "me no speekee engrish, me learnee welsh" but apart from being astoundingly offensive in so many ways (and ignorant in the true meaning of the word), I would probably run into a fluent speaker of Mandarin first time out.
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:58 am

Lurch2 wrote:...but apart from being astoundingly offensive in so many ways...

:lol: Yep, that one! Tyrrau Fawlty this is not!

If you have another language, then use it - people will be so confused by someone speaking Welsh but no English that they won't have a clue how to deal with it, and will do what you say. But there's no need to claim Patagonian ancestry - be more adventurous. You can be from anywhere you like, and the less likely it is for you to meet a speaker of your adopted language, the better!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Cer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:30 pm

- be more adventurous.

Klingon?
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind