Dw i'n dyma! I am here! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Dw i'n dyma! I am here!

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm

[flash=][/flash]

I am in Criccieth. It is lovely. I came on the train, along the Cambrian coast. I had forgotten how beautiful Wales is.

I spoke Welsh with the the tacsi driver when I arrived, I don't even remember how it started, just naturally. I told him I learned Welsh. He asked me where. I told him yn y Clwb Celtaid in Melbourne and of course, Say Something in Welsh. He asked about my family. He asked how long I was staying. I somehow managed to answer him - all in Welsh. I felt like a regular chatter box. I had dinner at the Plu - asked for the bwydlen. They didn't blink, actually, I did see a slight double take, but they rose to the occasion, and let me order dinner and pay for it, all in Welsh.

It's amazing. I even understood some of the questions, though not all of them. And walking home from the Plu, I suddenly realised all the mistakes I made - but paid becso. I will get straight into the bootcamp training lessons this week, and run through my nouns, verbs and adjectives flashcards. In between I will read the dictionary from cover to cover (just kidding) and keep trying. It is carnival in Llanstumdwy this week, so there should be a few opportunities for practice.

Anyway, just thought I'd report in. Your teaching works. I am revelling in the fruits of it.
Elizabeth Jane
http://hannercymraes.blogspot.com

Please feel free to correct my Welsh
Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Re: Dw i'n dyma! I am here!

Postby Aran » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:42 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that, Elizabeth - it is really wonderful to hear how well you're doing...:D

Catrin and I would enjoy saying hello over a glass in the Plu - would some afternoon this coming week work for you? Do you know when the Plu is open in the afternoons?...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Helo Aran,

I would love to have a pint with you and Catrin. As far as I can tell the Plu opens at six o'clock. Does that sound right? That's what is written on the sign out the front. At first, I thought it just meant dinner. But I walked past a few times today and there was no sign of life. There is a cafe by the river too which appears to open earlier.

I am able to meet pretty much anytime except Friday. So please, you tell me what is convenient. I am on holidays whereas you will be busy doing the business of every day life. So name the time and I will be there. But if your week suddenly gets hectic - I know how quickly that can happen with a young family - I won't be offended if you need to take a rain check.

Having said that, dw i'n edrych ymlaen i ddweud helo i chi.

Hwyl
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:01 am

Helo Aran,

Dw i weddi meddwl arall. I have had another thought. Bydda i' n dod i pwllheli yn dydd Mercher am y marchnad. I will come to Pwllheli on Wednesday for the market. Dw i'n medru cwrdd a I chi dyna. I can meet you there - at least I hope that's what it says. 

Let me know
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:32 am

Mae dy Gymraeg yn mynd yn dda iawn!...:D

Wednesday would have been a good idea, but Catrin takes Angharad Lliar to play with her cousin pretty much all day on Wednesdays - how about a panad in that cafe by the river in Llanystumdwy at about 3 on Thursday afternoon? Fond as I am of the Plu, 6 is unfortunately a little late for us - it's when bedtime routines start to kick into play...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Yes, I thought it might be. My kids are all grown up now, two married, only one of the four left at home and he has a steady girlfriend, so I guess we'll be losing him soon. But I haven't forgotten how fraught those pre-bedtime hours can be. My phone number here is: 01792869414, just in case anything untoward crops up. Othereise, I will meet you down at the cafe around three. I am tall with red glasses - I know what you two look like from your photos on the forum.

Wela i chi yn dydd Iau

Hwyl
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 pm

Elizabeth Jane wrote:Othereise, I will meet you down at the cafe around three.

Fab, we'll look forward to seeing you there...:)

Elizabeth Jane wrote:I am tall with red glasses - I know what you two look like from your photos on the forum.

Kind of spooky, but handy at the same time...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Catrin Lliar » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:11 pm

Elizabeth Jane wrote:I am tall with red glasses...

I'm so sorry Elizabeth, I scanned that quickly, saw 'red' and 'tall' and 'glass(es)' and immediately thought 'Shouldn't we go to the pub then if Elizabeth fancies a large Merlot?' :lol: :lol:

It's late and today I did the weekly shop with two small kids in very hot weather, you must forgove me... :wink:
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby Elizabeth Jane » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Well, I don't mind long tall glass of wine. Or chocolate (I picked this important detail out of your profile). Dw i'n edrych ymlaen dy cyfarfod di, yfory.
Elizabeth Jane

Elizabeth Jane
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind