Nervous wreck | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Nervous wreck

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:36 am

What doesn't help learners is that many people in shops use English when talking numbers. That makes it so much more difficult when you go to somewhere like Siop y Pethe or Inc in Aber and they have a policy of using Welsh numbers exclusively.

"Chi 'di bod yn brysur heddi?"
"Ydw, wir. Ni wedi gwerthu llawer o'r crysiau-t newydd yn enwedig... dyna six ninety-nine, os gwelwch'n dda."

:lol:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Sionned » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:24 pm

Yep, my encounter was in a bookshop in Aberystwyth. (It has been five years ago now, so I don't remember the name of the shop...)
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby cap » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm

That probably was Siop y Pethe, I bought a CD in there once and they told me the price in Welsh, I used the trick of handing over a £10 note so I wouldn't have to concentrate on the price except that it was £10.99 (which I should have remembered as it did have the price on the front :oops: and said oh, sorry and handed the correct change over, they then asked me if I wanted a bag (also in Welsh) so they obviously thought I could understand (though I had effectively reverted to English, I realized after sorri could also be used by a Welsh speaker). I understood but had a mental block of how to say no thanks as I wasn't expecting them to ask that so just shook my head.

I didn't speak to them first but I think it was because it was a Welsh language CD I was buying they probably assumed I could understand, there were some other people in the shop who looked like tourists and the person behind the counter told them the price in Welsh and English.
cap
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind