Nervous wreck | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Nervous wreck

Postby RobertBruce » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 pm

darren wrote:i paid up and walked to my table shaking all the way lol, but on reflection I did manage if only to tell him I am learning, to say my first words to a fluent welsh speaker :D

To be fair to you, you got yourself out of a situation by coming up with the appropriate Welsh without having to think about it too hard. That's pretty much fluency in the making there - Well done you! :star:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby rob212 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Cacen it is then. ha ha
rob212

Postby Bryn-Daf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Daft Kids in my secondary school used cacen (siocled) as another way of saying a big cachu :shock: :sad: ....hence why I tend to avoid it now..dont underestimate the filthy minds of the youth :lol:.
I still will use it of course - "cacen dri" (currant cakes) is name for welsh cake up here mate

Be ready for people from different regions to give you banter about using words like cacen though, luckily I have usually had a few too many drinks to care/or notice :lol:
Last edited by Bryn-Daf on Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby darren » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:30 pm

diolch yn fawr iawn pawb, thank you for all your comments, they have made me feel welcome and at ease, and i think it probably would be a good idea to check the prices first and just hand over enough money, while listening to and learning what he says. It didnt stop there, i was dying to try some more welsh out later, so while I was working down sophia gardens on Saturday s4c were covering the cricket and steffan Rhodri, from, Gavin and Stacey, was interveiwing the players, after the game I approached him and asked for his autograph and thanked him in welsh, i was absolutey buzzin, thankfully when I thanked him he just replied "dim problem" :D
darren

Postby Iestyn » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm

Darren - that is awesome!

I'm afraid that you can't get away from the nerves, the terror, and the occasional (or regular if you do it enough!) barrage of Welsh that is totally incomprehensible. I get the same with my French.

But what you have done is special: You've gone at it, and survived. :star: That is the only way to get speaking.

Remember, the whole thing is a big game. You get points for every mistake you make in your Welsh (double points if it's totally wrong but the other person understands), you get points for every time you don't understand an answer (and double when you mis-understand and have a surreal conversation where neither of you are quite sure what it's about). The more points you get, the better you will get, and the quicker you will become a fully fledged, honest-to-goodness Welsh speaker.

You "mess about" at home - thta's brilliant. Make sure you do the same with all the other Welsh speakers you meet. :D

The shakes, by the way, is not really fear. It's anticipation of all the fun and excitement that is about to come your way.

Enjoy it! :party:

Iestyn
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Bryn-Daf » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:38 pm

RobertBruce wrote:
Loan word? We're keeping it!

It sounds nothing like 'cake', so it's Welsh. As far as I'm concerned, them's the rules. :wink:

I reckon its a loan word straight from scandinavian languages for once due to trading etc which is kind of cool :star:
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby Sionned » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 pm

The one time I had a shop clerk tell me a price in Welsh, I got lucky. The cash register was one that had a digital display facing the customer, so all I had to do was read it. Not sure I'd have managed, otherwise!!
Please do read the forum guidelines - they're very short!
And let me know where you live, and I'll put you on the map!
Sionned
SSiW Angel

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:02 am

Sionned wrote:The cash register was one that had a digital display facing the customer

That's a legal requirement. :smile:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:20 am

RobertBruce wrote:
Sionned wrote:The cash register was one that had a digital display facing the customer

That's a legal requirement. :smile:

...in the Welsh language act 1993, section 17 clause 3.a "Helping learners in shops - all tills must display the numbers clearly so that new Welsh speakers don't have to be intimidated by numbers at an early stage."

:mochyn:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby dinas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 am

Be' lembo! I've just been to the language act to check.
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind