In at the deep end - and the Aran floatation device | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: In at the deep end - and the Aran floatation device

Postby RunTime714 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Great report. I think I can make up a few simple sentences, but trying to listen to any Welsh that's available, ie radio Cymru or the occasional Youtube snippet from Pobol y cwm leaves me totally baffled. I get a few words here and there, but that's about it.

However I did find a couple of YouTube snippets where I could actually understand whole sentences. And guess what, they're both of children. Children may speak quickly in real life, but in front of a class or a camera, they're hardly orators. Try these for size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8TRHPr ... re=related (Ruby talking her native language). Very brief but clear.

Also this one (bring tissues). Its longer and the adults rattle on, but the children's portions are pretty clear. (I find French sometimes helps with Welsh, like ffenest (phenetre) which we've learned, and trist (triste)). This is subtitled in English so you can figure out if you're making a go of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4mquytqu5g (Last Days of Mynnedd Cerrig School)

Perhaps visitors to Wales should seek out children for conversations?
RunTime714

Postby Cathifach » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:27 pm

I did find a couple of YouTube snippets where I could actually understand whole sentences

Thanks for those links. :clap: I love little Ruby! :D And you're right about the second one - very sad but worth watching.
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

Postby Cathifach » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:29 pm

we're going to do much more stuff on preparing you for initial conversational situations - sort of linguistic waterwings -

I went to Ruthin Arts Centre today and decided to be brave. I wasn't quite brave enough to wear my SSIW t-shirt because that would be just asking people to strike up conversations with me in Welsh (!) but I did talk to the waiter in the coffee shop (which I can highly recommend by the way). I started off by asking him if he spoke Welsh to which he answered that he did a bit. So I told him I was learning. I had a go at ordering my meal although cappucino and pate seem to be exactly the same in Cymraeg and Seisneg which was quite funny! He came by later on and I knew that he'd asked me if my meal was OK but I just sort of lost it and couldn't think what to say which sounds stupid really and I ended up apologising in English. Never mind, it was a start I suppose and I guess the more you have a go at striking up conversations the easier it must get.....and if you're ever anywhere near Ruthin, the Arts centre is completely free including parking and worth having a look at even if you just go and have a coffee there.
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

Postby SJ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:36 pm

Well Done Cathy! Sounds like you had a lovely afternoon. :D
I'll have to stop by the Arts Centre next time I'm up north!
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Cathifach » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Diolch :D The stupid thing was I was physically shaking after speaking in Welsh, I was so nervous! It took me a while (and a cappucino) to recover :lol:
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Well done Cathy! It's excellent that you've taken that first step - and still at a pretty early stage with your learning! Congratulations...:D

The more often you break the ice and speak, the easier it gets...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Excellent stuff, Cathy. Well done.

I think Aran has said before that restaurants are good places to practice snippets of Welsh, because they other person has to go away (and sooner rather than later).
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Owain » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Da iawn, Cathy. :clap: Dal ati
Owain
SSiW Member

Postby Cathifach » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:33 am

I'd just like to say thanks for all the support and encouragement. I barely strung half a dozen words together in Welsh yesterday yet I feel like everyone's patting me on the back for having a go. :clap: This forum is absolutely fantastic and I think it has a huge positive impact on my learning. :star: It doesn't matter how trivial the question is because someone is always willing to help out and I for one really appreciate that. I have never written anything on here and not got a response of some sort. :star: I feel like I have a whole network of support behind me even though I haven't met a single one in person. (And if I told you I spend as much time on here as I do on facebook, if you knew me in person you'd know how much that really means!) So diolch yn fawr iawn! :party:
Cathi
Cathifach
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:21 am

It's really encouraging to hear that the forum is helping you so much, Cathy...:D I've been finding it very exciting seeing what a positive collection of people have gathered here, and I hope it will turn into a new kind of community for learners that will make the entire journey from first word to proper conversations seem easier, more straightforward and more enjoyable...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind