In at the deep end - and the Aran floatation device | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: In at the deep end - and the Aran floatation device

Postby Cefin Gwlad » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 pm

RunTime714 wrote:Also this one (bring tissues). Its longer and the adults rattle on, but the children's portions are pretty clear. (I find French sometimes helps with Welsh, like ffenest (phenetre) which we've learned, and trist (triste)). This is subtitled in English so you can figure out if you're making a go of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4mquytqu5g (Last Days of Mynnedd Cerrig School)

Diolch yn fawr am y post 'na, RT! It's true: you will need the tissues, folks... Stori mor drist yw hi :cry:
Eppur si muove / Ac eto mae'n symud !
Cefin Gwlad

Postby dzyanna » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:52 am

My dad was visiting at the weekend and I thought I'd brave telling him I was making some progress learning Welsh. He promptly rattled off what seemed like a great mass of beautifully melodic, rapid and incomprehensible 1940/1950s Cardiff Welsh at me to which I gave a typically Australian response of "oh bloody hell - go slower". You can see how under stress its easy to forget even the most basic of Welsh such as even an "Araf, diolch yn vawr". Turns out what he had asked me was "what is your name"? Once we both got over rolling around laughing at my Ozzy response he was a bit kinder. My Dad is only fluent as far as a few set phrases, a few words, numbers and poems they learnt by heart at school so I don't feel too bad. I think he was quite impressed that I could make up sentences on the run such as "Dw i'n gaer drws" (please excuse my spelling if its wrong). He couldn't remember what the poems he knew meant so I listened to him reciting a couple of them and picked out a pleasing amount of words and promised to translate when I know more. His accent sounds a bit different to mine (he winced a bit) but I'm guessing 1940s school Welsh might be fairly formal.
dzyanna
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:02 am

dzyanna wrote:My dad was visiting at the weekend and I thought I'd brave telling him I was making some progress learning Welsh.

That sounds like an entertaining step forward...:) Once you start telling other people (especially family!) and start actually using bits and pieces, you're really beginning to move...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind