Going native in my home town! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Going native in my home town!

Postby Dee » Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 pm

crystaltipps65 wrote:I forgot to mention, that the organiser was surprised by how much welsh I knew considering that I started the Cwrs Mynediad last September. I extolled the virtues Of SSiW in actually getting me speaking welsh, best kind of advert- word of mouth, yn y Gymraeg!

:star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Aran » Thu May 26, 2011 10:19 am

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn iawn, Tricia!...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby awyddus » Thu May 26, 2011 11:23 am

Hello all, I have also been to the group in Burryport on one occassion and found them all to be very keen, there were complete learners and experienced welsh speakers I was so pleased to be able to use a bit more welsh without feeling nervous, the Stella Artois helped (even if it was a bit pricey at £3.50 a pint!). If anyone lives close enough (It's a bit far away for me to attend regularly) to go I woulde highly recommend it.

Awyddus. :lol:
awyddus
SSiW Member

Postby crystaltipps65 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:29 pm

awyddus wrote:If anyone lives close enough (It's a bit far away for me to attend regularly) to go I woulde highly recommend it.

Hear,hear! Alas the last 'official' session is next week until October. : :sad: Though I did hear a rumour that people will carry on meeting up, as one said 'well I'm not going to stop using my welsh until October!" So hopefully the sessions will continue (unofficially) over the summer months :smile:

In a way it is sad that spoken welsh in this small town is now confined to a bar on a Tuesday evening, where once it was the predominant language used on the street throughout my childhood. No doubt this is a microcosm of what has happened throughout Wales and for many reasons, which I will not attempt to express my views on this at this time.

At the same time though, it provides a glimmer of hope and provides an experience as I expressed in my first post and I for one will definitely return to this safe harbour of the welsh language!

Kind regards
Tricia
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby crystaltipps65 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Oh, sorry, Tricia. I should have put the English translation after it. :oops:

Cofion cynnes (Warm regards),

Harmony :D

Dim problem HarmonicNature, I learnt a new word so thanks! I was too tired at that point to look in a dictionary that night! And now I have heard it at the end of gwers 13 so have been practising to all and sundry even to my gorgeous cat! :hengath:
Take care
Tricia :smile:
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind