Going native in my home town! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Going native in my home town!

Postby crystaltipps65 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 am

I went back to my home town Of Burry Port today to see my mum, which I do often enough but usually just to her house, take the dog for a walk along desolate beaches then head back to Swansea. that's what I have been doing for over twenty years.

After leaving my mum this evening I took a detour down Stepney Road, parked the car and faced 'the George'.
I found out about the Burry Port Welsh conversation group on SSiW calender sometime ago but never had the nerve to go. Today though was now or never. I had no idea what to expect, I was very nervous but my 'awyddus' to speak welsh pushed aside all my inhibitions, Well maybe not all of them!

I walked into a busy bar, searched the bar in hope of finding some welsh conversationalists huddled in a corner. Then I saw a welsh dictionary and a welsh song book on a table amongst a large group, I suspected this was it. A woman came up to me (she appeared to be in charge) and I tentatively asked 'is this the welsh conversation group, can I join in? achos Dw i'n dysgu siarad Cymraeg.' She spoke to me in welsh and amazingly, I understood what she said and I answered in welsh (falteringly). She said of course you can, what's your name, where do you live, where do you come from and when did you start learning welsh.

I got my drink and was thrust into the group, where I was totally engaged for the rest of the evening with a friendly, helpful, enthused bunch of people. I spoke welsh, understood welsh, learnt more and helped others who knew less welsh than I did. And we sang Calon Lan!

I thought this was going to be welsh of the nervous kind but it was more like coming home.

Da iawn Porth Tywyn Sgwrs Cymraeg grŵp! :clap:

Tricia
On lesson 20 course 2 - south
Started cwrs Canolradd Dwys
follow me @gwalltgwyllt on twitter!
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Re: Going native in my home town!

Postby HarmonicNature » Wed May 25, 2011 12:42 am

Llongyfarchiadau, Tricia! Wnest ti wneud (very) yn dda! :star: :clap: :party: :clap: :star:
Please feel free to correct me or my Welsh! :-)
Does anyone like organ music? http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandeBombarde16. :D
Does anyone like classical singing? http://www.youtube.com/user/HarmonicNature. :D
View my artwork and photography here: http://HarmonicNature.imagekind.com :-)
HarmonicNature

Postby crystaltipps65 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:30 am

Diolch yn fawr HarmonicNature!

Though I have no idea what Llongyfarchiadau means. Though I see a ship (llong) and regards/respect (Parch)

I would appreciate it if you could enlighten me!

kind regards
Tricia
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Wed May 25, 2011 6:16 am

Llongyfarchiadau means Congratulations! And you certainly deserve it. :clap:
What a brilliant experience and such a boost to your confidence. That first step is always the hardest. I could feel tears coming in my eyes as I was reading your post. Da iawn ti! :star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby vgh50 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:41 am

Wow! Tricia, that's brilliant! :star:

I'm really impressed! Not only did you have the courage to join the group, but you also did so very well once you were there - fantastic!

I'm so happy for you :D

Vaughan
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Wed May 25, 2011 9:17 am

Da iawn ti, Crystaltipps. It takes huge commitment and guts to burst onto a group of total strangers, especially when you know that you will be expected to communicate in another language!

Funnily enough, commitment and guts are what make the difference between a learner, and a succesful new speaker of a languge. Which makes me pretty confident that we are witnessing the birth of yet another bona fide, fully fledged Welsh speaker. Croeso i'r Gymraeg!

All the best

Iestyn
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby my_cat_silky » Wed May 25, 2011 9:35 am

Such an inspirational story, Tricia! Reading posts like yours really inspires me to get on with my Welsh-learning in the hope of having an experience like yours one day! Do keep it up - now you've taken the plunge, there's no looking back! :wink:
my_cat_silky
SSiW Member

Postby crystaltipps65 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am

Dee wrote:Llongyfarchiadau means Congratulations!

Thanks Dee for that! It was either that word was never said to me when I was younger or more likely went over my head! though the BBC Wales online dictionary didn't recognise it either.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. I was so excited when I got home last night but it was too late to ring anyone to say what a night I had, so where better than here!

I forgot to mention, that the organiser was surprised by how much welsh I knew considering that I started the Cwrs Mynediad last September. I extolled the virtues Of SSiW in actually getting me speaking welsh, best kind of advert- word of mouth, yn y Gymraeg!

thanks again everyone
Tricia
crystaltipps65
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Wed May 25, 2011 12:39 pm

crystaltipps65 wrote:I thought this was going to be welsh of the nervous kind but it was more like coming home.

crystaltipps65 wrote:I was so excited when I got home last night

I can't decide which one of those is the best bit. Ffantastig, & your experience should inspire others. :star:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby HarmonicNature » Wed May 25, 2011 2:32 pm

crystaltipps65 wrote:Though I have no idea what Llongyfarchiadau means.

Oh, sorry, Tricia. I should have put the English translation after it. :oops:

Cofion cynnes (Warm regards),

Harmony :D
Please feel free to correct me or my Welsh! :-)
Does anyone like organ music? http://www.youtube.com/user/GrandeBombarde16. :D
Does anyone like classical singing? http://www.youtube.com/user/HarmonicNature. :D
View my artwork and photography here: http://HarmonicNature.imagekind.com :-)
HarmonicNature

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind