North v South - 'sdim ots | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: North v South - 'sdim ots

Postby Aran » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:43 am

What a fantastic thread this has become! It's turned into another of those great things about this board - something that we had never even thought of just happening naturally. Stories from the front line of language success...:)

I think it might turn out to be one of the most valuable things about this board - the way people can see others succeeding. I remember when I was learning, I just almost never met (or really got to know, anyway) more advanced learners - mostly because they scared the hell out of me!

But here, on a mostly English language board, where everyone has permission to be using English because we're concentrating on speaking and listening not reading and writing, you can get to know people at all sorts of different levels without the fear factor. Which means that you can get to hear about the wonderful feeling of all sorts of different kinds of success - and that will, I hope, be genuinely inspirational for a lot of people...:)

One of the key parts of success - believing that it really CAN be done - became for me (because I didn't know any advanced learners) all about self-belief (which for most of us can be a bit of an unreliable thing!). But here, we've got proof - it really CAN be done. If you know that, and you know that you just need to keep taking simple step after simple step through what we've got here, you don't NEED to have massive self-confidence - you just need enough determination to keep on doing it...

RobertBruce wrote:If Aran owes you a pint and you're going to be in his 'hood, but you have a holiday rule about no internet access and no mobiles (try it!), it's probably best to fix up a meeting with him beforehand, because you'll never be able to do it otherwise. Sorry Aran, my disorganisation, but you still owe me one - I'll be back up there before too long!

Ah, just in time, before I got into 'Hey, what the heck happened to that pint you owed me? What do you mean, I owed it to you?' mode...:wink:

RobertBruce wrote:BTW, the owner of Cob records in Porthmadog today said - I think - "Dwi'n tybedu" - is this the same as just plain "tybed", or what? :?:

That sounds as though it might have been 'Dw i'n tybed i...' - depending on what he said after that. Like for eg 'Dw i'n tybed i hynny ddigwydd...' 'I expect that that happened...'

So, field trips, as and when we can arrange them. What we really need is somewhere that would put a bunch of learners up for free (or for very low cost). Thinking hats on, everyone!

And then perhaps we also need some kind of SSIW awards ceremony, for the most inspiring stories of the year. Maybe we could get that to happen somewhere like Aberystwyth? I'll have a word with some of the hotels down there...
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby chambo » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:08 am

I know it's not exactly in Aber, but the youth hostel at Borth is huge and cheap and there is a community there that would speak Welsh (out of season). I agree Aber is better as there are lots of people - Gwesty Cymru is expensive - ish, but everyone speaks Welsh. If you where going to do that and made a map Cymraeg, I think people could have a bit of immersion and easily live through welsh for the day.

Speaking of which, I had to give a small public thanks etc. to the all Welsh church in Aber Santes Fair http://www.eglwysfair.org/. If I'd had to think about it I would have been = :shush: , but on the spare of the moment it was fine. I'm not churchy, but it was great, because the people had took the time to talk about the history of the place and the learners in the church, then afterwards lots of cacen and chat. The whole thing was in Welsh and there was a fantastic harpist that played a Welsh Harp (3 sets of strings). Speaking really does help your language.
chambo
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:38 pm

Robert - you are a hero! A whole holiday in Welsh is something that most learners can only dream of! I hope your story is an inspiration to everyone, because, as Aran says, the self belkief thing is one of the biggest hurdles with learning a language (I struggled with my French for ages becasue it was always so much easier to show willing with a few bonjours, then let the other speaker lead me off into English. Now their English has got to bew pretty d*mn top notch before I consider being tempted, and my French has come on ion leaps and bounds because of it!)

And Owain - I'm not sure if you gave the impression that you'd spoken a lot of perfect Welsh, but then again, thats the point. You probably spoke flawed Welsh and made up bits and pieces to gewt around words you didn't know. But that is why the congratulations are in order, aand that is why you are an inspiration to anyone in your situation (or on the slippery ladder to your situation). Its the huge step that is most difficult to take, and once taken, leads you to fluency. Congratualtions to you both.

A field trip sounds great - the cheapest accomodation possible (usually hostel or sleeping on a community hall floor), and a nice place to visit is the only really important point - I'm pretty certain we can make our own entertainment!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby leiafee » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 pm

I anyone hasn't seen www.gwyliaucymraeg.co.uk by the way - that looks like a good starting point.
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 am

Aran wrote:
RobertBruce wrote:BTW, the owner of Cob records in Porthmadog today said - I think - "Dwi'n tybedu" - is this the same as just plain "tybed", or what? :?:

That sounds as though it might have been 'Dw i'n tybed i...' - depending on what he said after that. Like for eg 'Dw i'n tybed i hynny ddigwydd...' 'I expect that that happened...'

Well, the context was that I was asking about the new EP by Y Promatics. He couldn't find any record (sorry!) of it on his computer. The gist of what he was saying was that he wondered if it was more of an unofficial release that was just being sold by the band at gigs.

Anyhow, I walked up to Siop Efionydd at the other end of town and they had a shelf full of them. It is indeed an official release on the Sbrigyn Ymborth label (the label of the venue/pub Tŷ Newydd in Sarn, Pen Llŷn, I believe).
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 am

RobertBruce wrote:The gist of what he was saying was that he wondered if it was more of an unofficial release that was just being sold by the band at gigs.

So it could have been something like 'dw i'n tybed iddo fod yn...'

I've never heard tybed getting incorrectly verb-ised like that, which is why I'm thinking it's more likely that you didn't quite hear the phrase clearly - but then again, you never know. There are more things in heaven and earth etc...:wink:

Siop Eifionydd had something Cob Records didn't? The end of days is nigh.
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Maybe I just plain heard it wrong, though I'm pretty sure I didn't. Maybe it was one of those occasions where what I heard kind of fitted the context so I twisted it to fit what I expected to hear.

Also holiday related, Tegwen has told me that, with three of us all cramped into the same camper van, she heard me speaking Welsh in my sleep several times!
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:23 pm

RobertBruce wrote:Also holiday related, Tegwen has told me that, with three of us all cramped into the same camper van, she heard me speaking Welsh in my sleep several times!

Now that's a result!...:D

What did you think he went on to say after 'tybedu'? I'm intrigued now. You'll have to go back the next time you're in Port and see if you can get him to say it again...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby bikemartyn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:59 pm

Well, my 1 semesters worth of 2hrs a week left me feeling a little uncomfortable speaking to the locals as I would easily 'run into trouble' and get out of my depth.
The lessons on here have certainly helped.

What has this got to do with, what we call in England, "The North - south divide", well, thanks to the info on here I am no longer intimidated by the possible differences in dialect so have enrolled on a 3 week full time course in Bangor speaking 'North' and then a few weeks later a 4 week full time course speaking 'South' in Aberystywth.

Hopefully when I return to uni (In Bangor) in September I will feel quite confident speaking to my 'locals' and also communicate with people when I go mountain biking at Cwm Carn (Near Newport) and Afan Argoed (near Port Talbot).

I am no longer any more scared of the Welsh regional dialects as I am (as a Londoner) speaking to a 'Northerner'.

Thanks, er sorry, I mean Diolch
(This is going to take some determination, but i'll get there in the end!)
bikemartyn

Postby Aran » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:26 pm

bikemartyn wrote:What has this got to do with, what we call in England, "The North - south divide", well, thanks to the info on here I am no longer intimidated by the possible differences in dialect so have enrolled on a 3 week full time course in Bangor speaking 'North' and then a few weeks later a 4 week full time course speaking 'South' in Aberystywth.

That sounds like an excellent decision, and will certainly see your Welsh improve in leaps and bounds...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind