I've taken the plunge and am going 'native' | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: I've taken the plunge and am going 'native'

Postby Tahl » Fri May 06, 2011 10:44 am

Looked at the thread with the details: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4149&p=44701
Have a lot of laughs -- we'll look forward to hearing your reports!!
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby cmcclean » Fri May 06, 2011 12:25 pm

Best wishes Kalenwolf. Dwi'n gobeithio ti licio fo. (My best attempt at saying "I hope you enjoy it". I feel there should be an "y" or "i" in there before the ti, but "There is no grammer", so dwi ddim yn poeni am hynny).

I have enjoyed looking up the references you made. I love the idea of the Secretary for State for Wales miming the national anthem (wouldn't that just be so obvious?) and I had never heard of Polari before. Wikipedia am byth! (or otherwise wouldn't have fully understood Robert Bruce's bonaroo either).

Regards,
Cormac.
Cymraeg am byth! Please correct my Welsh as required.
cmcclean
SSiW Member

Postby kalenwolf » Sun May 08, 2011 8:25 pm

well robert, not only was it bona, [da] it was fantabulosa [ardderchog] as well :wink: went for a troll [cerdded] on saturday morning, it was chucking it down, nanti bona [ddim yn dda] :lol: [thought i'd throw in a bit of polari for u cmcclean with a bit of welsh translation :lol: but best stop now so as not to confuse matters any further]

it was a really good weekend, i was the only gog learner there so there were lots of looks of 'oh crap' from some of the others in the mynediad group, but they got over it :harhar:
it was good to be with learners i didnt already know everything about so even though we were going over phrases i am already ok with on the 1st evening it was fresh b/c i hadnt ask those people those questions at least 10 times previously. there was a good mix of abilities, even in the individual 'ability groups' which made for a great learning atmosphere. the tutors were great at speaking to us in welsh, leaving a pause then asking if every1 understood and then if there were some blank expressions [sometimes mine] they would translate but it was surprising how much i was picking up even if i didnt understand the whole thing. had a great complement from 1 of the more advanced learners, he was shocked that i was only doing mynediad in college and said i sounded very comfortable and free flowing with what i was saying. all in all, penwythnos gwych, and most importantly, i survived :lol:

oh and saw loads of :dafad: :dafad: :dafad: :dafad: :dafad: on the drive to and from big pit today
life may not be the party we imagined, but while we're here we might as well dance

tywyllwch yr enaid
kalenwolf

Postby RobertBruce » Sun May 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Newyddion da! :D

No going back now. As the other learner noticed, you're already a Welsh speaker!
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Iestyn » Sun May 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Da iawn KW, glad you enjoyed it, and glad that you were able to get some sheep watching in...!

As Rob says - no need for excuses now, you've already become a Welsh speaker. Just need to keep speaking about more and more stuff. Gwych!

Iestyn
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby cmcclean » Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Well done Kalenwolf and thanks for the Polari!
Cymraeg am byth! Please correct my Welsh as required.
cmcclean
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 am

Llongyfarchiadau mawr!...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Dee » Mon May 09, 2011 8:48 pm

Yes, it was a good weekend and I met some new people and caught up with others I'd met at previous events. One woman kept saying "I know you from somewhere .... where you at?" and naming various places I hadn't been to until she finally realised she knew me from the video clip of the SSiW launch in Cardiff Bay! That was a bit embarrassing, but shows we are getting known out there. And Kalenwolf was doing a great job of telling anyone that would listen how much SSiW was helping him :star:
Saturday night was a viewing of the film "Hedd Wyn" and I don't think there was a dry eye in the room - very emotional.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Mon May 09, 2011 9:02 pm

When I first saw this blog..I had images of a naked man running around the countryside shouting out loud in Welsh.. yes I agree... not a pretty site :wow:
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue May 10, 2011 9:20 am

Dee wrote:One woman kept saying "I know you from somewhere .... where you at?" and naming various places I hadn't been to until she finally realised she knew me from the video clip of the SSiW launch in Cardiff Bay!

That is so cool! Dee, you're a genuine celeb!...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind