Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Aran » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:Well I'm now on Lesson 24 of the first course

Llongyfarchiadau mawr! a) for keeping on going, and b) for getting so far - worth at least two or three years of evening classes, and you've got the vocab lessons to go as well...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Aran

I find I'm thinking in welsh more aswell.

Much more welsh being used at home and I can understand more of Pobol y Cwm.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:Much more welsh being used at home and I can understand more of Pobol y Cwm.

:) That's definitely the sound of a new Welsh speaker easing their way into the world...:star:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Yesterday I was talking in welsh to one of the mums when dropping my daughter off at Meithrin, then yesterday evening I managed a conversation whilst walking round Hailey Park on a Bat Walk. Yes that's a guided walk looking for bats. There are a lot more Welsh speakers in Cardiff than people realise. Shame people don't have a little red dot on their head saying Welsh speaker lol
Lostontheoggin

Postby SJ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:55 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:Yesterday I was talking in welsh to one of the mums when dropping my daughter off at Meithrin, then yesterday evening I managed a conversation whilst walking round Hailey Park on a Bat Walk. Yes that's a guided walk looking for bats. There are a lot more Welsh speakers in Cardiff than people realise. Shame people don't have a little red dot on their head saying Welsh speaker lol

Well done on two conversations in one day! It can be difficult to find Welsh speakers in Cardiff, but once you meet one or two, it becomes easier to spot them and they seem to come along like buses! It is difficult to build up a Welsh speaking circle in Cardiff, but it is definitely do-able. :D
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:14 pm

My daughter goes to welsh language nursery so I have a ready made circle of Welsh Speakers, its outside of that that it gets interesting. Once you make an effort its really easy to find welsh speakers. According to the census 1 in 10 people in Cardiff speak welsh thats about 40000 people.
Lostontheoggin

Postby SJ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm

There's always the SSIW Monthly Cardiff meet and the weekly monday meetings in the Mochyn Du if you're free.
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:00 am

It's been a bit slow on the learning front recently here on the ship, as I've been really really busy. However not being one to miss an opportunity, the bridge black box has been recording Iestyn Cat and myself for the last few nights as the ship plowed across the sea from Fishguard to Rosslare. I'm sure the sound of welsh has been attracting the Dolphins as we've seen a few on the last few mornings and a couple of Minke Whales.

Tonight however I had to help out an engineer trying to fix a problem with an indicator light in the bow door space, after an hour of being stood at the controls to the bow door doing nothing, whilst the engineer fiddled away with magnets and bits of wire, I pulled out my Iphone and whiled away half an hour on lesson 5, picked at random because I wanted to practice speaking, not learning if that makes sense.The bow door space is a cavern of a place and really echos around the place amplifying the welsh lesson and giving it almost a subterranean feel. So if you can learn welsh in the bow door space of a ship you really can learn welsh anywhere.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:I'm sure the sound of welsh has been attracting the Dolphins as we've seen a few on the last few mornings and a couple of Minke Whales.

Speak Welsh and see more dolphins - I rather like the idea of that as a marketing line...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 am

We keep a log onboard for the Seatrust Survey, often have dolphin spotters onboard. They usually try to come on days when there is a forecast for light winds so the smaller waves make spotting easier, this usually means they get fog....
Lostontheoggin

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind