Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Aran » Mon May 21, 2012 9:06 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:My Job and my children are combining to wear me out I never get a chance to rest.

I share your pain. I've got all sorts of things planned for when the monsters grow up and go to university.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby jstetson » Mon May 21, 2012 9:26 pm

Aran wrote:
Lostontheoggin wrote:My Job and my children are combining to wear me out I never get a chance to rest.

I share your pain. I've got all sorts of things planned for when the monsters grow up and go to university.

He he he, says she with kids in college. :D
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 am

jstetson wrote:He he he, says she with kids in college. :D

I'm reckoning I might learn a new language at that point, for example...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Tue May 22, 2012 10:33 am

To think I'm actually learning welsh to help them through welsh medium education. And so I can understand school plays etc.

Can't remember my last undisturbed nights sleep.

I don't actually have a problem sleeping, other people have a problem with me sleeping. Having had a week on her own my wife thinks when I get back I should be stepping up to look after the kids and give her a break, which I understand. But actually after a week in the Irish sea in all sorts of weather I need a break myself!

Its been foggy this week, you don't want to try sleeping with a fog horn going off on the deck above your head.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Tahl » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:I don't actually have a problem sleeping, other people have a problem with me sleeping. Having had a week on her own my wife thinks when I get back I should be stepping up to look after the kids and give her a break, which I understand. But actually after a week in the Irish sea in all sorts of weather I need a break myself!

Its been foggy this week, you don't want to try sleeping with a fog horn going off on the deck above your head.

Is it not good training for sleeping in a house with small children...? :wink:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Tue May 22, 2012 11:06 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:Can't remember my last undisturbed nights sleep.

Seriously, I feel your pain. It's like a never-ending nightmare. I think the last undisturbed night's sleep we had was back when we had a night in Aberystwyth for the SSiW birthday party - we've probably had about one a year since Angharad Lliar was born.

Hang on in there. They've just got to start sleeping at some point, haven't they?
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby bontddu » Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Aran wrote:
Lostontheoggin wrote:Can't remember my last undisturbed nights sleep.

Seriously, I feel your pain. It's like a never-ending nightmare. I think the last undisturbed night's sleep we had was back when we had a night in Aberystwyth for the SSiW birthday party - we've probably had about one a year since Angharad Lliar was born.

Hang on in there. They've just got to start sleeping at some point, haven't they?

So glad it's not just me then.....
bontddu
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Tue May 22, 2012 2:06 pm

bontddu wrote:So glad it's not just me then.....

I know SO many people whose children just seem to go to bed and sleep. I want to throttle them all. It's almost enough to make me sign up on Mumsnet just to try and find some other sufferers...:wink:

On the bright side, I reckon anyone who can get through a few years of this without ending up in a prison for the clinically insane is doing brilliantly and will probably end up as President of the World when they've finished with the difficult stuff...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Spenny » Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 pm

Aran wrote:
bontddu wrote:So glad it's not just me then.....

I know SO many people whose children just seem to go to bed and sleep. I want to throttle them all. It's almost enough to make me sign up on Mumsnet just to try and find some other sufferers...:wink:

On the bright side, I reckon anyone who can get through a few years of this without ending up in a prison for the clinically insane is doing brilliantly and will probably end up as President of the World when they've finished with the difficult stuff...:)

We are the smug parents who booted our babies out into their own rooms after a week or two, ignored the sobs for a couple of nights (not hard when you are exhausted - but you soon learn the moaning from the serious stuff) and came to an arrangement that it did not take two parents to breastfeed and there were other times to contribute. Aside from the slight worry that no. 1 daughter is finishing uni with no job so our home life may not be entirely our own again, getting rid of them is bliss on one hand but the worries still stay!

On the other had, my in-laws have had one child with a congenital heart defect (who at times knows all the tricks to use it to her advantage) and another who had dire dietary troubles and instead of being 6' 7" like dad, is the smallest in the class.

I've seen enough to conclude that being hard about thekids is a good thing, namby pamby parenting is a thing of the modern era, because children need sane parents, so there is a trade-off between being slaves to the kids short term needs and looking after their long term needs by looking after yourself. On the other hand, I also know that advice is not necessarily transferrable from one set of children to another. I also know that however bad you think little children are, parents never really share the horrors of the teenage years. Just sayin'...
The philosophies of Aran Jones: "Wanting to buy milk is a state of mind."
Spenny
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Aran » Tue May 22, 2012 3:15 pm

Spenny wrote:parents never really share the horrors of the teenage years. Just sayin'...

How can there be any problems in the teenage years? We'll have changed the locks and moved to a different country by then...:)
Aran
SSi CEO

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind