Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Aran » Sun May 08, 2011 12:29 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:but I find if I repeat the lesson again I can generally use less and less pause. Is this hard wiring welsh into my brain.

Yup, that's a key part of the process - it's a two step thing - once you can get through a lesson saying almost everything right, however much you use the pause, you've *learnt* the Welsh - once you can get through the lesson saying almost everything right without using the pause, you've increased your processing speed to the point where you've got a far better chance of being able to stay afloat in a conversation...:)

Good luck with the weather! Seems pretty windy here at the moment, but we have the benefit of concrete foundations...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Aran wrote:
Lostontheoggin wrote:but I find if I repeat the lesson again I can generally use less and less pause. Is this hard wiring welsh into my brain.

Yup, that's a key part of the process - it's a two step thing - once you can get through a lesson saying almost everything right, however much you use the pause, you've *learnt* the Welsh - once you can get through the lesson saying almost everything right without using the pause, you've increased your processing speed to the point where you've got a far better chance of being able to stay afloat in a conversation...:)

Good luck with the weather! Seems pretty windy here at the moment, but we have the benefit of concrete foundations...:wink:

Cheers It's been a bit windy this week which makes every arrival and departure just that little bit more stressful.

The good news is a little more time to study I'm now on lesson 10 I was on lesson 7 at the beginning of the week.

I like the way your teaching the words for beer and wine, does it move on to the Welsh words for Kebab, Curry and Share of a taxi ? I'll be in Clwb at the weekend, pretending I'm 23 again, before you know it.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Mon May 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:I like the way your teaching the words for beer and wine, does it move on to the Welsh words for Kebab, Curry and Share of a taxi ? I'll be in Clwb at the weekend, pretending I'm 23 again, before you know it.

You're romping home there with Cibab, Cyri, and siâr tacsi (or 'rhannu' if you want to ask nicely...:wink:)...:lol:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby cmcclean » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:I like the way your teaching the words for beer and wine, does it move on to the Welsh words for Kebab, Curry and Share of a taxi ? I'll be in Clwb at the weekend, pretending I'm 23 again, before you know it.

Bootcamp 2 vocab lesson has the phrase "I'm (she's?) in favour of drinking beer". As if there was any doubt. Drinking beer, and rights for dogs.
Cymraeg am byth! Please correct my Welsh as required.
cmcclean
SSiW Member

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 am

Another milestone reached yesterday, my wife commented

' I won't be able to talk about you in welsh anymore you are starting to understand too much'
Lostontheoggin

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:02 am

Progress report

I'm now on lesson 14, progress with the lessons slowed a bit when I went holiday, although my use of the language with my wife is increasing. I'm understanding more and more on Cyw and I listen to radio Cymru when driving just to play the game of how many words can I recognise. I have a cd in the car of welsh childrens songs which means we all get to sing a long in welsh. I'm trying to get a little exposure to welsh each day even talking to my daughters nursery teacher and the other parents at Radyr Meithrin.

It's coming along quite nicely :)
Lostontheoggin

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 am

Sounds like you are doing all the best things and the last things you said is proof! If you can have conversations every day (It's an aim of mine, even though I live in Portsmouth and know nobody around sy'n siarad Cymraeg), then you are a Welsh speaker already and are simply honing a skill-set. Fantastic!
Pob Lwc!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Lostontheoggin » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:13 am

Its been a pretty lumpy week in the Irish sea. Whilst the Adventurer is a very stable ship the increased vibration caused by Engines and bow thrusters has kept me awake pretty damn well.

Still I've managed to revise lesson 17 work my way through lesson 18 and I'm now on 19.

Word of the week has definately been Gwynt.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:13 am

Good work that man! Glad you're okay, it's been breezy enough here for me not to want to be out at sea at all.

Not far off the end of Course 1 - that's a heck of an achievement. How are you feeling about your Welsh now?
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:08 am

Aran wrote:Good work that man! Glad you're okay, it's been breezy enough here for me not to want to be out at sea at all.

Not far off the end of Course 1 - that's a heck of an achievement. How are you feeling about your Welsh now?

I'm pretty confident about speaking the welsh I know, mind you I'm a pretty confident person anyway. There is just so much more I want to learn. I'm often on the Trinity St David website looking up words because they are words I need. These are generally words you wouldn't need as a beginner such as Freight, Passengers, Visibility, Steering Motors, Bridge, Wheelhouse etc. So Loads more to learn then.

Watching Cyw with my kids is a big help, when I'm at home but I find I have much less time when I'm home to study. As winter now seems upon us I get really tired during my week in work and I've found myself unable learn stuff as easily towards the end of the week.

The other interesting thing is the North South differences, almost all the Welsh speakers in work are North Walian, so I can throw a few south wales words their way. I find myself say Sut Mae in the North and Shw mae in the South.

I'm a SSiW purist in that I havent been learning how to read and write welsh at all.
Lostontheoggin

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind