Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Tahl » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Lostontheoggin wrote:I did the whole conversation in Welsh using only one word of English and thats freight. The Cadet just stood there gobsmacked as we spoke to each other, I really felt quite proud of myself.

How excellent! Maybe that Cadet will get inspired by you. :-)
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Lostontheoggin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:02 pm

Aran wrote:
Lostontheoggin wrote: I did the whole conversation in Welsh using only one word of English and thats freight. The Cadet just stood there gobsmacked as we spoke to each other, I really felt quite proud of myself.

Absolutely bloody brilliant! Llongyfarchiadau mawr! I love the sound of a new Welsh-speaker being born...:wink:

You've done it, Gareth - you really have done it. From now on, it's just a matter of enjoying using your Welsh more and more often. Many, many congratulations...:star:

Calm down mun it wasn't a long conversation, it was the gobsmacked cadet I was pointing out lol
Lostontheoggin

Postby Lostontheoggin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Ps my goal is to understand the commentary on the Rugby on esspedwareck

getting better with cyw in the mornings when I'm on leave, I was humming 'hello Mrs lollipop' this morning whilst loading the ship.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:56 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:Calm down mun it wasn't a long conversation

Lose your cool, Oggs... :wink:

Learners always say 'Oh, but it wasn't a long conversation', or 'Oh, but there are are lots of things I still can't say' or 'Oh, but I didn't understand everything'...

None of which changes the fact that anyone capable of having a conversation in Welsh, however long it may or may not be, is by definition a Welsh speaker, and has already successfully hurdled the biggest single block to learners: getting into conversations... :smile:

I'd go so far as to say that once you start getting into conversations, you have successfully learnt Welsh, and it's only a matter of time before you realise that you're picking up new structures and words without really thinking about it, just by talking to people. That may feel a long way off to you at the moment, but I can give you an unconditional guarantee that your story here means you are much further down that road than you realise...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Aran » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:19 am

Oh, thanks a lot. Now I've got Mrs Blincin Lolipop stuck in my head. And when Monster #1 wakes up, it'll probably be forcibly replaced by Rapsgaliwn.

Sigh. They'll be away at college soon. [Hangs on in there].
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 am

The Cadet is a Glaswegian, he's used to having a language problem, usually people don't understand him.

Knows a little gaelic though,

Heres some ships specific vocabulary.

Ship = Llong

boat = cwch

Sailor = Llongwr

Passenger = ymdeithiwr

Anchor = Angor

Wheel house = Ty Olwyn

Rudder = llyw

Helmsman = llywiwr

Drunk = Meddwyn (Sadly no longer true)
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:45 pm

I think you should tell the cadet that the Welsh for passenger is 'lembo'...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:22 am

Aran wrote:I think you should tell the cadet that the Welsh for passenger is 'lembo'...:wink:

Theres been a lot of learning rude words going on on this ship but lembo has lost me.
Lostontheoggin

Postby Aran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:09 am

Lostontheoggin wrote:
Aran wrote:I think you should tell the cadet that the Welsh for passenger is 'lembo'...:wink:

Theres been a lot of learning rude words going on on this ship but lembo has lost me.

It's probably not rude enough...:wink: It's more or less the same as idiot, but with a certain sort of hair-ruffling not particularly aggressive tone to it. But if the cadet called passengers 'lembos' to the other crew, they'd have a hard time keeping a straight face...:wink:
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Lostontheoggin » Sat May 07, 2011 12:29 pm

I seem to be trotting along at the moment, I really like the way the lessons go back over stuff which keeps you on your toes. I can't deny the pause button is a great help but thats more to give myself time to compose what I want to say, but I find if I repeat the lesson again I can generally use less and less pause. Is this hard wiring welsh into my brain.

On a completely different note the weather out here is taking a turn for the worse after the lovely April, Strong Easterlies are a bit of a nightmare as we are exposed on the berth.
Lostontheoggin

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind