Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Learning Welsh on the Holyhead to Dublin ferry

Postby Tahl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

Aran wrote:
Lostontheoggin wrote:I'm sure the sound of welsh has been attracting the Dolphins as we've seen a few on the last few mornings and a couple of Minke Whales.

Speak Welsh and see more dolphins - I rather like the idea of that as a marketing line...:wink:

One of my powerful memories of Bootcamp July 2010 was going out for a sealife-spotting trip in a little inflatable boat from Aberteifi (Cardigan). The guide said that the seals liked the sound of human singing and would likely swim closer to the boat if we sang to them. I'll never forget the boatful of us singing 'Oes Gafr Eto?' (aka Cyfri'r Geifr, the counting-goats song) as a dozen or so curious though possibly tone-deaf seals swam up to us with their heads poking out of the water.

Sadly, they did not applaud at the end. Everybody's a critic.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby RobertBruce » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:47 am

Tahl wrote:Sadly, they did not applaud at the end.

Only Sea-lions do that. Seals will generally just nod in appreciation. :wink:
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby Lostontheoggin » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

My routine life runs around two things, ships and children, I spend almost all my time when I'm home in the company of a 2 year old and a 4 year old. So the odd moment of peace and quiet is not to be missed. Last Saturday morning I took the 4 year old to gym class at my local leisure centre, I drop her off in class then head to the cafe for a cup of tea and a bacon sandwich and half an hour of solitude, until one of the other dads appears after a swimming lesson and we spend half an hour talking welsh, usually about rugby. Last Saturday I was sat cup of tea in hand and I noticed something unusual in the cafe. About 90% of the customers were speaking welsh, I was able to sit there and listen to the welsh conversations going on around me, a most unexpected and welcome surprise. When my friend joined me even he was surprised at the number of welsh speakers, happily surprised. It turned out that the Urdd gym class was on at the same time as my daughters and all the mums and dads were doing the same as me. But it just goes to show you never really know how many welsh speakers there are around you, especially in a place like Cardiff.
Lostontheoggin

Previous

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind