Catching out a workmate... | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Catching out a workmate...

Postby Audax Victor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 pm

One of my colleagues at work knows I am learning Welsh (she's Valleys born and bred and knows a few words and phrases in Welsh).

She's gently mocked me about my learning so every now and again I see if I can catch her out.

She said something (in English!) I didn't catch last week and without batting an eyelid I asked said (in Welsh!) `I'm sorry? Don't speak English with me!'...and then had to explain to her what I had just said! :twisted:
Audax Victor

Re: Catching out a workmate...

Postby Cer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:03 am

:lol:
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:47 am

Slowly but surely you can win them over!

In my office there are 2 girls with Welsh-speaking partners and another woman who learnt some Welsh at school. None of them speak Welsh as a rule, but slowly, slowly they are starting to use odd words and phrases and they seem to be enjoying it. They are remembering what they learnt in school, or hearing words that they've heard others use. It's only asking if someone wants a cup of tea and a lot of Diolch yn fawr at the moment, but the atmosphere is changing
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby gwiwer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:51 am

When I was starting out learning welsh one of my colleagues would catch me out with far more advanced and complex sentences than I cope with. Best I could say was "Bore da" and so on. Got the blighter back recently when I caught him out. Unintentional - but very satisfying, he's a right know-it-all.
"a tree-climbing rodent of taste and distinction"
gwiwer
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:02 am

Dee wrote:It's only asking if someone wants a cup of tea and a lot of Diolch yn fawr at the moment, but the atmosphere is changing

:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Bryn-Daf » Sun May 22, 2011 3:55 am

You know in New Zealand certain Moari words (about 60 so far) are substituting the english ones, must be partly for identity reasons.....in wales we could do that a bit more to counter the english usuage infiltrating the welsh language (believe some ppl using so much english in their welsh hardly need to know any welsh :-? )...the flow of language should be both ways.....for example cwtch (hug) is a great start :)
Ac wrth feddwl am fy Nghymru,
Daw llawenydd i'n nghalon i
Bryn-Daf
SSiW Member

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Mon May 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I have two golfing buddies that have nick names... One is David Bath who we call bubbles, the other is Mike Gillette who we call razor, and I have been trying to think of a nickname for Fred Adlam a friend of mine from the Valleys... He's always getting lucky bounces with his golf ball... so I have decided to call him "adlam lwcus"... I don't think he's twigged it yet but I will have to tell him next time we meet up for a game :wink:
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Mon May 23, 2011 9:15 pm

WilapEynon wrote:He's always getting lucky bounces with his golf ball... so I have decided to call him "adlam lwcus"... I don't think he's twigged it yet but I will have to tell him next time we meet up for a game :wink:

Adlam = a bounce. Cool. Thanks for the new word and the phrase to remember it by. :smile:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Dee » Tue May 24, 2011 6:27 am

tahl wrote:
WilapEynon wrote:He's always getting lucky bounces with his golf ball... so I have decided to call him "adlam lwcus"... I don't think he's twigged it yet but I will have to tell him next time we meet up for a game :wink:

Adlam = a bounce. Cool. Thanks for the new word and the phrase to remember it by. :smile:

Ooh, yes. I like that :D .. hmm, now how can I slot that into a conversation :cool:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Wil-ab-Eynon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 am

Dee wrote:
tahl wrote:

Ooh, yes. I like that :D .. hmm, now how can I slot that into a conversation :cool:

Os ti'n gwilio'r gem rygbi ar y teledu.... "Mae Cymru wedi adlamu nol i mewn yr gem yr ail hanner." :dance:
If your watching rugby on the TV... " Wales has bounced back in the second half of the game"

Os ti'n teimlo hapus... "Fydda i'n adlam i'm nhgwaith y bore 'ma" :D
If your happy... "I will bounce to work this morning"

Os mae rhywun yn galw arna ti a ti ddim yn hapus gyda nhw... "Gweud hynny eto a fyddi di'n cael dy adlam trwr'r drws 'na" :twisted:
If someone has called and your not happy with them... " Say that again and I'll bounce you through that door"

Os ti'n cerdded trwy'r Caerdydd ar nos Sadwrn a weld Adlamwyr y tu mas drysau Clwb nos... " OMG edrych ar y pecs ar y Adlamwr 'na :cariad: :wink: "
If you in Cardiff on a Saturday night and see bouncers outside the doors of a night club... "OMG look at the pecs on that bouncer"

Os ti'n teimlo doniol gyda "Best China"rhyw un arall yn dy dwylo... "Fydd e'n adlam os wy'n gadael ar fy nhafael?" :angel:
If your feeling in a funny mood with someone elses best china in your hands... "Will it bounce if I drop it?"

Os mae na un rhywun gallu neu medru wella ar yr brawddegau uwchben sgwenu nhw lawr 'ma????
Anyone can think of a better sentence please put it here...
Wil-ab-Eynon
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind