SSiW meetup in Helsinki | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

SSiW meetup in Helsinki

Postby TygerC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:24 am

So, last Friday cake21 wanted to have a SSiW meetup in Helsinki and I said Yes! (Well okay, she had some work thing in Finland too.) Since there happened to be ice sculptures in Helsinki Zoo, we decided to go to see them and speak some Welsh at the same time.

It was nice and sunny winter day when we got ourselves to the zoo. Unfortunately cake21 missed the "lots of snow" phase we had here, but got to experience the cold. It's been around -20C here for awhile now. At least the sculptures aren't in any danger of melting...

I managed to mumble something in Welsh a few times and most of the time even understood what she said. :gosh:

The ice sculptures were awesome and after running around them, we spend some time melting in the Asia-Africa house, which was located, quite conveniently, next to the sculptures. There were some gorgeous parrots there. And lots of monkeys, snakes, bugs, and really cute mouse-things.
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Re: SSiW meetup in Helsinki

Postby Aran » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Our first Helsinki meetup! That has just made my week...:D

Well, apart from making me jealous of anyone who gets to live in/be in Helsinki, which is one of my two favourite cities...:) We need to get enough learners over there to have a Helsinki Bootcamp!...:wink:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby cake21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:50 pm

For a moment I thought I'd missed the SSiW meetup in Helsinki by only a week :faint:

That was a really cool meetup - the sea was frozen (!) and TygerC is most definitely underplaying her Welsh! It was rather funny though that we both switched to English when my colleagues were around, TygerC out of politeness but I had pre-warned them about the Welsh chat but was too shy in the end :lol:

Do you want copies of any of the ice sculpture photos? Although they were awesome, don't even think about bringing the cold weather to Bootcamp with you :harhar:
Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg - all corrections welcomed!
cake21
SSiW Member

Postby TygerC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:10 pm

cake21 wrote:Do you want copies of any of the ice sculpture photos? Although they were awesome, don't even think about bringing the cold weather to Bootcamp with you :harhar:

Ooh, I won't say no to pictures. And hey, as the saying goes, Finnish summer is short and there's not so much snow. (And that sounds much better in Finnish.) :wink:
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
me@twitter, blog, g+, susanna.sorvali@Skype
#Believe in Sherlock
TygerC
SSiW Member

Postby cake21 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 pm

Pics should be on their way to you...

I also liked the (Finnish?) saying: "Ladies first, including over weak ice" :shock:
Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg - all corrections welcomed!
cake21
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind