Just a bit disheartened | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Just a bit disheartened

Postby Lostforwords » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm

Yesterday I had an opportunity to meet a Welshman from Swansea. Although he had warned me that he wasn't a fluent Welsh speaker it transpired that he knew Calon Lân by heart and various Welsh hymns from his chapel days as a young boy. Thus encouraged I took along my script prepared for a possible YouTube video which I read out to him. Well, he didn't understand the meaning and didn't understand my pronunciation. I then asked him to read the passage out to me - which he did haltingly letter by letter. His Welsh was indeed phonetic in the extreme. Anyway, this is what I had written:
<<<Helo - Fred dwi a dw i'n byw yn Reading ar bwys yr avon.. Dw i wedi ymddeol nawr. Dw i'n meddwl mae'n hen bryd siarad bach o Gymraeg, dim ond gobeithio pobl yn gallu deall.
Mae awyren fach gyda fi ac os yw hi'n braf dw i'n awyddus i fynd i hedfan - yn aml gyda ffrind. Dw i wedi bod sawl gwaith i Gaernarfon, Abertawe a Y Trallwng. Mae rhai pobl yn gofyn: ydych chi ddim yn rhy hen i hedfan? Nac ydw - ddim o gwbl! Dych chi byth yn rhy hen i hedfan.
Ar ben hynny dw i'n hoffi gwrando ar gerddoriaeth glasurol a hefyd hoffi canu (chwarae) piano.
Ta beth - diolch am wylio. Hwyl! >>>
Don't hesitate to tell me if it really is complete and utter gobbledegook . Diolch!
Dw i'n bwriadu i fyw am byth - iawn hyd yma.
"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Lostforwords
SSiW Member

Re: Just a bit disheartened

Postby Aran » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Er, Ffred, if he didn't understand that, it was because he doesn't speak Welsh. Maybe he's a bit defensive about that, so he said he's not 'fluent' because he thought you wouldn't have enough Welsh to be able to know - but he was wrong, because you *are* a Welsh speaker, and put him on the spot.

What you wrote is 95% correct and 100% understandable. Don't you DARE be in the least bit disheartened because someone else doesn't speak Welsh!
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Heledd ap » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:31 pm

Fe wnes i ddeall pob gair ta beth!
Tro'r Trai - Llety ar lan môr Tresaith a Dinbych y Prysgod
Heledd ap

Postby Tahl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Lostforwords wrote: Don't hesitate to tell me if it really is complete and utter gobbledegook . Diolch!

Well, if it is, then you and I speak the same form of gobbledegook. I understood that perfectly. I know a fair bit of Latin and some chunks of Spanish and Japanese off by heart -- but I absolutely, definitely do not speak those languages. So I would take him at his word, that he's someone who has likely spent a lot less time with conversational Welsh than you have.
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby susanie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:59 pm

I also understood every word you wrote Ffred and could read it easily. You are obviously a far better and more fluent welsh speaker than him :clap: Paid becso - go ahead and make your youtube clip so we can see you in action :smile:
susanie
SSiW Member

Postby Lostforwords » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks everybody for your encouraging words. :D

I think you, tahl, put your finger on it. Just because my friend can recite a fair amount by heart doesn't mean he speaks the language. I should have thought of that. Anyway, back to gwers 25 and then onto the Vocab lessons. Another couple of months/years or so and I should be ready for the Intermediate Course - and, perhaps, a YouTube clip - but don't hold your breath. :roll:
Lostforwords
SSiW Member

Postby cake21 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:15 pm

I also understood it perfectly, and normally I skip over the welsh bits on the forum because I don't find it easy to understand written Welsh. :clap:

Unrelated, but from your profile I think I'm quite near you during the week? I can venture out from Emmer Green if you fancy a chat in Cymraeg :D
Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg - all corrections welcomed!
cake21
SSiW Member

Postby Lostforwords » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:23 pm

cake21 wrote:I also understood it perfectly, and normally I skip over the welsh bits on the forum because I don't find it easy to understand written Welsh. :clap:

Unrelated, but from your profile I think I'm quite near you during the week? I can venture out from Emmer Green if you fancy a chat in Cymraeg :D

Have sent a PM.
Lostforwords
SSiW Member

Postby sumsmeister » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:25 pm

I understood everything you wrote, Fred, although there were a couple of unfamiliar words which I put down to being a little more Hwntw than I usually encounter, so that's my fault... I hope you can arrange a get-together with Cake21.
Pob Hwyl!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby leiafee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Flit into Maes Awyr Abertawe sometime -- I'll wibble at you in wibbly Welsh ;-)

Or I'll flit there when I'm 'remounted' -- Where are you flying out of these days?
leiafee
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind