Cymraeg ar y ffôn | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Cymraeg ar y ffôn

Postby LynneA » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:50 pm

Anrheg penblwydd for me this morning! :D
When my auntie and grandparents phoned me and after "Bore da", I (still half-asleep at 8 o'clock) went for it and had three productive Welsh conversations. It was a bit tricky being on the phone but I understood them a lot better than I would have expected to (they did talk slowly!)
We've not been speaking Welsh on the phone to each other because when you have long pauses it could run up the phone bill :lol: .
Managed to say we were going to see them next week, what I was doing today, ask how they were, I only got into real trouble when my mind went blank and I couldn't remember what "Thursday" was. Very annoyed about that! Very excited now to be going to Wales next week :party:
My speaking confidence is all thanks to SSIW . Diolch yn fawr eto. :D
LynneA
SSiW Member

Re: Cymraeg ar y ffôn

Postby Aran » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Brilliant! Well done you - and penblwydd hapus iawn!

If you can manage Welsh on the phone early in the morning, you've definitely cracked it...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby jstetson » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:58 pm

Llongyfarchiadau mawr iawn! Dw i'n hapus i clywed amdano fe.
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:05 pm

LynneA wrote:Anrheg penblwydd for me this morning! :D
When my auntie and grandparents phoned me and after "Bore da", I (still half-asleep at 8 o'clock) went for it and had three productive Welsh conversations. It was a bit tricky being on the phone but I understood them a lot better than I would have expected to (they did talk slowly!)
We've not been speaking Welsh on the phone to each other because when you have long pauses it could run up the phone bill :lol: .
Managed to say we were going to see them next week, what I was doing today, ask how they were, I only got into real trouble when my mind went blank and I couldn't remember what "Thursday" was. Very annoyed about that! Very excited now to be going to Wales next week :party:
My speaking confidence is all thanks to SSIW . Diolch yn fawr eto. :D

And I bet they put the phone down thinking "Hold on - that was all in Welsh!"... Excellent story, and really brilliant progress. I think you're going to enjoy your stay in Wales an awful lot! :star:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby cake21 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:24 am

Llongyfarchiadau a phenblydd hapus! :party:
Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg - all corrections welcomed!
cake21
SSiW Member

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind