First real Welsh conversation | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

First real Welsh conversation

Postby jstetson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am

OK, there've been some strangled exchanges of sentences between me and some of my fellow students here, but what I accomplished this afternoon, even I am willing to credit as a real, true conversation in Welsh. I turned up a fellow SSiWer from the map (yeah map! yeah Sionned!) in a neighboring town, and after some missed connections and snow storms, we met today for the first time. Got acquainted a bit in English, then spent a goodish while chatting largely yn Gymraeg. Some slithering in and out of English, but lots and lots of Welsh. And I understood what she said (mostly) and she understood what I said (mostly). I was truly astounded at how much I was able to say, and what complex notions I was able to get across, with the help of the odd English word stuck in edgewise here and there.

And wow. I am Over. The. Moon. Wahoo! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Re: First real Welsh conversation

Postby Cer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:42 am

Heh. Cool. :D Handy thing, that map!
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Iestyn » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:30 am

:dance: :dance: :dance:

You've made my Sunday morning, Jan. THAT is what SSiW is all about! We've got a tgreat community, and a nice (hard work, but still quite safe) few lessons, and everyone can learn to be confident Welsh speakers. But getting out there, and doing it is the big step that we can't help you with. I'm really pleased that you did so well - don't worry about slipping in and out of English. If you'd read the Facebook quoted in this Week's "Cymro" (Welsh newspaper), you'd have seen some of Cymru's cultural guardians doing the same!

By the way - you've had conversations before. This was a full blown "I lived a part of my life through Welsh", which is a fair bit more impressive than a mere conversation. Think - do you know something about your firend that you only found out in Welsh? Did you share a joke or experience in Welsh, or discuss an opinion or the smallest of personal feelings? If so, you are well beyond a mere conversation.

I hope you realise what a massive step you've taken, Jan. There are people living in Wales and learning Welsh since years that have never done what you've achieved, in the USA. Got any champagne?

:star: :star: :star:

PS - get the other half of your new Welsh life-experience to tell us about it as well!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby sumsmeister » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 am

Hold on to that feeling and treasure it Jan! It's impossible to sit here without smiling, 'cos it brings back memories for me! Here's to the next one that you have! Have to respect what Iestyn said about living a part of your life in Welsh - fabulous turn of phrase :star:
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby LynneA » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:59 am

Ardderchog! What a great confidence boost for you and to inspire the rest of us. :D
LynneA
SSiW Member

Postby Tahl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

That's just fantastic. :clap: :clap: Wouldn't the you of, say, six months ago be astounded? :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby jstetson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:23 pm

tahl wrote:That's just fantastic. :clap: :clap: Wouldn't the you of, say, six months ago be astounded? :D

Diolch yn fawr, tahl, ond beth wyt ti'n meddwl? The me of today is astounded! The me of six months ago? :faint:

A diolch yn fawr i bawb. 'Ych chi'n gwych! Dw i'n hapus bod i'n gallu rhannu'r amser hwn.
Feel free to correct my Welsh, os gwelwch yn dda.
Words are like children, they behave differently with their friends.
jstetson
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Absolutely wonderful - thank you so much for sharing that...:star:

So, it's official - you're a Welsh speaker...:D

From now on, it's just a question of how often you get to use your Welsh...:)

Would the two of you be willing to talk to the media about what you think of being able to follow a course online, meet up with someone who lives fairly near you, and have a conversation in Welsh?...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind