Yes/no answers - I'll get back to you! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Yes/no answers - I'll get back to you!

Postby BekB » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

I've had a few brief chances to use a bit of Welsh recently. Truthfully they could have been a little less brief if it wasn't for me!

I've had a few occasions where I have been asked a question which has a yes or no answer and when that happens :faint: brain no worky!! I understand the question but the answer doesn't come.

Well, i say brain no worky - brain ends up thinking of the answer in English and then thumbs through it's filing system until it finds the correct phrase. By which time the person who has asked the question, now a little bored of watching the tumbleweed blow by, translates the question for me and I'm feeling a bit of a tool so I giggle and answer in English :oops: .

I really freeze on yes and no unless it's a possesive question where the clue is in the question!

Any tips for dealing with this?
Corrections welcomed!
BekB

Re: Yes/no answers - I'll get back to you!

Postby Kinetic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:46 pm

I'd say that in situations like this, keeping the conversation going is more important than answering perfectly. If someone asks you a question that should be answered with a "do" and you answer with an "ydw" they're still going to understand what you mean - and more importantly, they'll know that you understood the question properly, so will be less likely to switch to English :)
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Postby leiafee » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:03 pm

Mumble and nod/shake your head and skip to the next bit of the conversation!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm

kinetic wrote:I'd say that in situations like this, keeping the conversation going is more important than answering perfectly.

What he said...:)

Bek, why not just use 'Ia' and 'Na' all the time? Everyone will understand you, only occasional insensitive types will try and correct you, and you can just get on with having conversations and using all the rest of your Welsh (until one day you find out that you're using more 'correct' ways of saying yes and no without even really having thought about it)...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby LynneA » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:13 pm

How about learning some non yes/no answers like when you play that game where you are not allowed to answer yes or no. For example, then in a problem situation if you don't know the right yes/no you could say something like "of course" (wrth gwrs) "certainly" (sîwr iawn) or the appropriate negatives (can't think what they are though!) :smile:
LynneA
SSiW Member

Postby Kinetic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:42 pm

LynneA wrote:How about learning some non yes/no answers like when you play that game where you are not allowed to answer yes or no. For example, then in a problem situation if you don't know the right yes/no you could say something like "of course" (wrth gwrs) "certainly" (sîwr iawn) or the appropriate negatives (can't think what they are though!) :smile:

:lol: Heh, I do that too - lazy eh! Wrth gwrs, yn union, pam lai, siŵr o fod, 'na ni... and I'm pretty sure I over-use "ie" too :oops: Not sure if I have any for negatives, except just "na" I suppose...
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Postby RobertBruce » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:47 pm

kinetic wrote:Not sure if I have any for negatives, except just "na" I suppose...

Na is fine. A lot of first language speakers use over-use it, so why shouldn't we? :D
No one ever drowned by getting out of their depth in a Welsh conversation.

Please DO read the forum guidelines. And how about putting up a poster or two in your locality?
RobertBruce
SSiW Angel

Postby TelBoy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:44 am

I've only just seen this, and I fully sympathise. My few opportunities have been blighted by this.. most recently when I phoned to subscibe to Lingo... (I forgot to use the "yn arafach" strategy too). :faint:

But I find I'm concentrating far more on what the person is saying than noting what verb starts the sentence to then follow up with the correct reply.

I like the "Ie", "Nage" solution, as the point is to keep communicating. :star:
Gorau prinder, prinder geiriau.
TelBoy
Gorsedd SSiW

Postby BekB » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:55 am

Diolch pawb.

Some great ideas there. I'll arm myself with some alternatives and will try not to panic! :faint:
Corrections welcomed!
BekB

Postby Dee » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:59 pm

I still struggle with this as well. I've recently decided to try a new approach, so I'll let you know how it goes. What I"m going to TRY to do, is not think that I want to answer "Yes" or "No", but to banish those words completely and think that I want to answer "I do" or "I did" or "I don't" etc, and see if that gives me the clue as to what to say. I figure it's worth a try anyway.
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind