Tahl | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Tahl

Postby cat » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:48 pm

Diane, you are AMAZING!! I take it that after a call like that, you're on speed dial for Radio Cymru researchers who need a US viewpoint?!

Anhygoel! :seren:

And :diolch: for the many mentions and wonderful description about the course and the forum!
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Postby essenbee » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 am

That was so amazing and inspiring Dianne, you really are a :seren: !

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby Arianrhod » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:37 am

I happened to be listening to the radio, and was spellbound listening to your wonderful Welsh, Diane. How on earth did you get to that standard when you must be so busy with other things? :clap:
Wastad yn siarad Cymraeg... i'r hen, hen gi.
(southern version) Cwrs 3 Gwers 23
Arianrhod
SSiW Member

Postby fri27cari » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:59 am

I was so lucky to be able to hear it, everytime when they send a link from a t.v. program They don't allow me to see it. How pleasant to hear you talking Welsh with an American accent, make me wonder how my Flemish accent will sound? The well as already said "wel" is a Welsh word and was not out of place or disturbing, in fact I was so focused on other things that I hardly heard you using it.
Congratulations on your bravery and your good Welsh speaking!
fri27cari

Postby Iestyn » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:57 am

Diane - you are extraordinary!

Well, actually, you are ordinary, but only in that you sounded like an ordinary Welsh speaker who happened to live in Washington DC, rather than "A Welsh Learner" (note the capitalisation). Which is rather extraordinary, if you see what I mean...

Da iawn ti!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Aran » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 pm

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Tahl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Thanks for all the kind words -- and the reality check, because I've found myself in the dumps a few times lately at how hard I've found that Twitter course in cynghanedd (Welsh strict-metre poetry) that I mentioned. Deep breath, right foot, left foot, right foot...

For people who are newish here, the lessons I hope you'll draw are (1) SSIW works, and (2) you can make plenty of errors and still have no problem being understood.

Iestyn wrote:Well, actually, you are ordinary, but only in that you sounded like an ordinary Welsh speaker who happened to live in Washington DC, rather than "A Welsh Learner" (note the capitalisation).

For me personally, *that* is the goal -- to reach the point that JonSais and others have already reached, where people are less about "look, a talking dog!!!" and more about "hm, interesting point that dog just made." :roll:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby dinas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 pm

Tahl wrote:For me personally, *that* is the goal -- to reach the point that JonSais and others have already reached, where people are less about "look, a talking dog!!!" and more about "hm, interesting point that dog just made."

Hi, Tahl! You've managed to express my own feelings, exactly... :clap:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Catrin Lliar » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Not been able to sit down and listen to this yet and looking forward to doing so this evening - sound like I may be in for a real treat!
Northern course female voice. Raised in Pen Llŷn, fled when 18. Spent my 20s discovering the wider world. A qualified teacher (English & art), worked in marketing with small local businesses - gave it all up to become a Mam! A creative soul who inherited my family's artistic gene, love drawing, being behind the lens of a camera and being creative with food. Movies, red wine, dark chocolate help me relax. Always here to help!
Catrin Lliar
SSi Head of Events

Postby dinas » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:40 pm

Catrin Lliar wrote:Not been able to sit down and listen to this yet and looking forward to doing so this evening - sound like I may be in for a real treat!

It is a real treat, Catrin...Oh, enjoy the Welsh victory on Saturday!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind