Just used my first Welsh! And also, helo... | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Just used my first Welsh! And also, helo...

Postby Pomico » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:35 am

This is a bit of Introduce yourself/Why are you learning/Welsh encounters/How far have you got all-in-one, sorry about that :oops:

First of all, hello, I'm Claire from Torbay :) I'm learning Welsh because my Dad is fluent in it, he grew up in Cwmbran although has been living in Milton Keynes since before he had me. I have a lot of family still in Wales though. I've only now decided to learn because my partner is also Welsh, although he doesn't speak much, just a little from his GCSE years ago. He's also from Cwmbran, although we met in Exeter... Turns out he went to the same school as my Dad, spooky! A few months back, without thinking, I referred to myself as 'English' for which I got told off by my partner, so I thought I'd get one up on him and try to become fluent in Welsh. That, plus the excitement of being able to talk to my family in Welsh, plus having a 40-minute commute gave me the perfect excuse to start learning!

I've actually been aware of SSIW for a few years, I was school friends with your very own SparkyCola, although it's only now that I've got round to looking at it. I'm actually on lesson 10 of course 1 (southern), but I've been keeping quiet since I wanted to tell my Dad first :) Which brings me on to the encounter... So I phoned him this morning, said "Bore da," he started laughing, then I said "Ti'n iawn?" and he paused, presumably thinking "Hang on, is she actually speaking Welsh?" He then said something I couldn't quite catch, I was planning on saying "Dwi ddim yn gwybod beth wnest ti ddweud, ond (I'm ok, I can speak Welsh, etc)" but panicked and all I could manage was "Mae'n ddrwg 'da fi." I can't believe how nervous I was :-? Ho hum. He was pretty impressed all the same, he said my intonation was perfect and he could tell that I'd been learning from recordings, so thank you Iestyn and Cat! :)
Pomico

Re: Just used my first Welsh! And also, helo...

Postby dinas » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:43 am

:seren: :ardderchog:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby essenbee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:52 am

:llongyf: a chroeso i'r fforwm!

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby cwmgoch » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:03 am

Llongyfarchiadau! :clap: And a warm welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll do great! Those conversations will get better and easier, and before long your dad will be dumbfounded. Pob lwc! :D
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. Currently on Cwrs 3 De, Gwers 4.
Dw i'n moyn llenwi'r we gydag amlgyfrwng hyfryd yn Gymraeg!
cwmgoch

Postby Aran » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:13 am

Pomico wrote:I was school friends with your very own SparkyCola

There can be no finer introduction to this forum...:D

A very warm welcome, Claire, and congratulations on what I'm entirely sure will have been one of your Dad's highlights for this (or probably any other!) year...:star:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Pomico » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Diolch all for your kind words (and for the dragons too of course :D)
I'm in Cardiff next week for a conference, I'm hoping to be able to pop in and see my grandparents. I'm not sure whether I've quite got the courage to try speaking Welsh with them yet. My Dad was saying that since it's their first language they speak very colloquially he struggles at times :-?
I'll see how brave I'm feeling :)
Pomico

Postby Aran » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:30 pm

I'm sure every word you manage will be a genuine delight for them... :clap:

And remember, mistakes are the lifeblood of languages - the more you make, the faster you go...:)
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Colettet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi - congratulations --- using your Welsh is a big thrill isn't it ?

You have a go with your Grandparents -- I am sure they will be thrilled with you and …… very proud !!! Let us know how you get on
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Postby catflap » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi

Pomico wrote:He was pretty impressed all the same, he said my intonation was perfect and he could tell that I'd been learning from recordings

Well that's a fine endorsement of your accomplishments! Many congratulations. Sounds like you're well on your way to great things. Do make sure to keep everyone posted on how you get on with the course. It's always a pleasure to hear people's news, and there's always someone on the forum who will help out if you hit a bump in the road, so make sure you share those as well so we can help out.

Have fun!
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Postby SJ » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:31 pm

:llongyf: :clap:
Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Please read the forum guidelines - they're short and sweet!
Put up a poster - Spread the word!
Follow me on Twitter @Cymraes24
SSiW Cardiff Coffee Morning - 3rd Saturday of every month at Coffee #1, Wood Street, Cardiff
SSIW Cardiff Weekly meet-up - Every Monday evening, 7pm Mochyn Du
SJ
Gorsedd SSiW

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind