The friendly people in West Wales | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

The friendly people in West Wales

Postby Morgs » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:08 pm

Since moving down here from Cardiff I have been constantly surprised by the warmth and friendliness of the local people towards Welsh learners. I think I have already mentioned the friendly butchers in Newcastle Emlyn, but last night I went to our local pub for the quiz night (in English). (Coopers Arms in Aberarad on the way into Emlyn from Carmarthen). I knew the landlady from dog walking quite well already but assumed that she didn't speak Welsh. Got chatting to landlady's mum outside the pub during the evening and turned out she spoke Welsh and so did her daughter. The mum was so encouraging and when we went back in she dragged her poor daughter over to our table and told her that she could only ever speak Welsh to me from now on! What really struck me about her mum was that she apologised to Tim for speaking in Welsh to me (he doesn't understand it) but said that she was going to carry on in Welsh because it was important, then she proceeded to say everything in Welsh and then once again in English in case I hadn't understood. She seemed to have a natural ability to speak slowly and clearly for learners. Turns out she was also looking for a way to teach a couple of youngsters to speak Welsh - she was very interested in SSIW as a teenager-friendly way of him learning and wanted to know loads about it. I LOVE West Wales! (almost as much as I love North Wales!) :cariad:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Re: The friendly people in West Wales

Postby essenbee » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Wonderful story! :D

Stu
Ar hyn o bryd, dw i'n astudio: Cwrs 3 Gwers 20 (fersiwn y Gogledd)
Yn ddiweddar, dw i wedi bod yn gwrando ar Meinir Gwilym
Beth ydw i'n darllen? Alecs Rider 1: Tarandon
Fel 'na ma' i a fel 'na fydd hi
essenbee
SSiW Member

Postby vgh50 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Wi'n genfigennus iawn! Swnio'n hyfryd yno, joio. :D
vgh50
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:22 pm

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Dee » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm looking forward to catching up with you when I get to move there Claire .... soon, I hope :D

We miss you in Caerdydd though! Don't forget to visit the Mochyn Du :wink:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Morgs » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes - when are you coming down here? Be great to catch up. Hurry up!!! :dance:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am

Morgs wrote:Yes - when are you coming down here? Be great to catch up. Hurry up!!! :dance:

Oh I AM working on it - believe me! Just bureaucracy getting in the way at the moment, but I should be one step closer by the end of the week. :D
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby Morgs » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:30 am

Yay! :clap:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby Ali » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 pm

Dee wrote:
Morgs wrote:Yes - when are you coming down here? Be great to catch up. Hurry up!!! :dance:

Oh I AM working on it - believe me! Just bureaucracy getting in the way at the moment, but I should be one step closer by the end of the week. :D

NO! NO! Please don't go! :cry: Cardiff will not be the same without you. I am thinking of kidnapping you and keeping you in a cupboard in my flat, only to be taken out to the Mochyn Du or the Diwc! :evil:

In your new home you must have a spare room with my name on it, or in the summer a camping spot in your garden for my tent!
Ali
The Magnificent Saith

Postby cat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Ali wrote:NO! NO! Please don't go! :cry: Cardiff will not be the same without you. I am thinking of kidnapping you and keeping you in a cupboard in my flat, only to be taken out to the Mochyn Du or the Diwc! :evil:

In your new home you must have a spare room with my name on it, or in the summer a camping spot in your garden for my tent!

Yes! Yes! Ignore Ali, we want you here!
Plus, I know what houses Dee's looking at, so I can say that if all DOES go to plan, there should be room for you to visit, Ali. If not, you can always come and stay with us, do a spot of babysitting, AND see Dee - bargain!
cat
SSi Head of Marketing

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind