A Christmas service in Welsh | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

A Christmas service in Welsh

Postby dhlewis53 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:07 am

Having completed all the lessons and vocab units for level 1 I am practising and using welsh whenever I can, which is usually with very patient family and friends. In the last few days I decided to go outside the comfort zone. Last Wednesday Eglwys Dewi Sant in Cardiff were holding a lunchtime bilingual Carol service, so I went along , sang in Welsh and met some really lovely people who were delighted that I was practising my Welsh. So armed with that confidence last night I went to their Welsh 9 lessons and carols service. I was surprised how much I understood and singing in welsh was a great way of practising pronunciation and actually seeing waht some words look like!!!
They were so welcoming again and if any learners who are church goers want to experience a service in welsh this is the place to go. All the service books are bilingual and the people very friendly and understanding of welsh learners. The mulled wine and mince pies were also good. Nadolig Llawen pawb.
Completed level 1and level 2 with SSIW, now practising and consolidating whenever I can. Always open to advice so don't be afraid to give it.
Dwi'n gallu siarad Cymraeg. Diolch o galon SSIW
dhlewis53

Re: A Christmas service in Welsh

Postby Aran » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:17 am

:seren:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Ali » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:02 pm

dhlewis53 wrote:Having completed all the lessons and vocab units for level 1 I am practising and using welsh whenever I can, which is usually with very patient family and friends. In the last few days I decided to go outside the comfort zone. Last Wednesday Eglwys Dewi Sant in Cardiff were holding a lunchtime bilingual Carol service, so I went along , sang in Welsh and met some really lovely people who were delighted that I was practising my Welsh. So armed with that confidence last night I went to their Welsh 9 lessons and carols service. I was surprised how much I understood and singing in welsh was a great way of practising pronunciation and actually seeing waht some words look like!!!
They were so welcoming again and if any learners who are church goers want to experience a service in welsh this is the place to go. All the service books are bilingual and the people very friendly and understanding of welsh learners. The mulled wine and mince pies were also good. Nadolig Llawen pawb.

Oooh! I was there on Wednesday too. I attend this church so get a lot of practice of listening to and speaking Welsh and everybody there is very patient with learners. I even read in the Advent Carol Service and was asked to read again last night, but unfortunately I had visitors arriving and was not sure of their exact arrival time so had to turn it down. But it was good to know that it wasn't too bad! Actually, several first language speakers said they could not have stood up and read in front of the congregation, although it should have been easier for them! Perhaps a case of ignorance is bliss!!

So if you come again, please search me out. After the 10.30 Sunday morning service there is always tea/coffee and biscuits and the chance to have a chat with people.
Ali
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Tahl » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:40 pm

And here's the church's bilingual website, with map: Eglwys Dewi Sant, Caerdydd
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind