At last, success! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

At last, success!

Postby catflap » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:36 pm

I've posted a few times on these forums, looking for a cheer-me-up after a less than successful attempt to use my Welsh. At last I can post something positive.

Today was the day when I decided enough was enough and I should actually start using some of this amazing stuff that SSiW has been pumping into my head and which the lovely tutors at Nant Gwerthyrn have helped to reinforce.

I was in Pwllheli and went into a book / music shop to ask the owner if he had anything by the excellent Welsh group, "The Gentle Good". He did, he showed me their latest album and I bought it. All in Welsh. Just an average sale for him, but a giant step for me. I followed it up by asking someone in a Deli if they could give me directions to the post office (in Welsh naturally). Then bought a postcard in Welsh and sent it off - sadly written in English, but then written Welsh is a different course completely! The day was rounded off with a cup of coffee (also bought in Welsh).

Phew. I'm pooped! But this is a big big thing for me. I opened my mouth and people understood me. I may have had some problems understanding everything that came back, but still, a good day!
In the midst of Course 2 southern, just reach lesson 25, but am going back through a few earlier lessons and taking a run-up at it.
catflap
SSiW Member

Re: At last, success!

Postby dinas » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:43 pm

:seren:
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby a-jay » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Well done Steve! It is a great feeling isn't it!

:D :D
Course 2, lesson 18 that will not defeat me!!!
a-jay
SSiW Member

Postby dreamsofwales » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:46 pm

Well done Steve.
There'll be no stopping you now!
:llongyf: :seren:
Course three (southern) lesson twenty two and have dabbled with the Course one gog lessons.
dreamsofwales
SSiW Member

Postby Colettet » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Well done you !!!! It is amazing when they understand what you say isn't it but ---- they do :lol: How does that happen :shock:

Just brilliant and I can tell you are on a "high" -- chuffed for you :clap:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Postby Iestyn » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:29 pm

Da iawn ti, Steve!

That's not just a minor success either - you did a lot of what you wanted to do in the day in Welsh, which definitely makes you a Welsh speaker. You must be chuffed to bits, and you deserve every little bit of buzz that you've had out of this, because it really is a massive achievement.

:seren:
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby sumsmeister » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:02 am

What a confidence boost - you must be looking forward to the next chance so much! :star:
I think "Dechreuwch bob sgwrs yn Gymraeg" - "Start every conversation in Welsh" should be your new motto.
Well done and keep looking!
Cymru am byth!
Please the Forum Guidelines
sumsmeister
SSiW Angel

Postby Tahl » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:34 pm

catflap wrote:Phew. I'm pooped! But this is a big big thing for me. I opened my mouth and people understood me. I may have had some problems understanding everything that came back, but still, a good day!

A *fantastic* day. Look back at your first few posts on the forum and enjoy how far you've come in the short time since then. :D
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Aran » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:15 pm

catflap wrote:But this is a big big thing for me. I opened my mouth and people understood me. I may have had some problems understanding everything that came back, but still, a good day!

Superb. You've proven yourself. Everything from here on in is just expanding your empire...:)

Are you going to be in Pwllheli on Saturday? We sit in Taro Deg having coffee and listening to the lovely sound of only one child from 10 until 11 every Saturday morning in term time, while elder monster does ballet.
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby llanman » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Well done Steve - what an achievement. I don't know if you heard about the new plan to get people using Welsh which was announced by Carwyn Jones on Tuesday in the Senedd. His idea is that we should all be using Welsh 5 times a day. I have counted how many times you used Welsh and it comes to 4 and you were pooped!
llanman
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind