Finally got the courage | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Finally got the courage

Postby Hybrids » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:55 am

I've been learning Welsh for a year now and finally had my 'Welsh encounters of the nervous kind'

For months I've been meaning to pop in Siop Ty Tawe in Swansea, the only place I know where I'd find Welsh speakers. Every time I've been too nervous and just walked past. I normally plan out several sentences in head, over complicate things and bottle it.

I really need to a buy a Welsh book for my new born baby which I haven't been able to find online.

There were two people in the store, I said 'Shwmae' as soon as I entered. I then started looking for the book, after a few minutes I plucked up the courage turned to one person in the store and asked if he worked here and if he could help me find the book I was after. We finally found the book and I went to the till and proceeded to pay. I asked the lady on the till if she'd been busy today and before I knew it I was in a three way conversion talking about rugby, the coffee shop, the weather etc. Then the man that helped me find the book caught me out with a word I didn't know, then I had to confess I was only learning Welsh. They were both shocked as they assumed I was fluent lol. The conversion carried on and we talked about my new born son, local schools, why I'm learning Welsh and of course where I'm learning. They both seemed really surprised that I'm not learning in a classroom. I of course explained all about SSIW and how amazing it is, one of them had heard of it.

So I'm absolutely chuffed and feeling really confident, they invited me to watch the Wales game next week, apparently they show it upstairs and serve beer and wine :D

Thank you to the SSIW team! I would never ever have been able to do that without your amazing course and the community of people on this forum! Thank you everyone :smile:

Phil
Hybrids
SSiW Member

Re: Finally got the courage

Postby leiafee » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 am

Tŷ Tawe is full of lovely people.

The siop siarad coffee morning is a good mix of learners and a fair few regular first language speakers too and the internationals "lan loft" are always full of hwyl a sbri!

I was manning the coffee shop on Saturday and will probably be around for the game - say shwmae if you see me!
leiafee
SSiW Member

Postby karengo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:31 am

Fantastic story, Phil - made my morning!
Many, many congratulations on getting up the courage to take that big step into public view.
:llongyf:
karengo
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:05 am

It's not the first time I've said it, and it won't be the last, but boy do I love the sound of a new Welsh speaker stepping out into the light...:D

:seren:

asked if he worked here and if he could help me find the book I was after. We finally found the book and I went to the till and proceeded to pay. I asked the lady on the till if she'd been busy today and before I knew it I was in a three way conversion talking about rugby, the coffee shop, the weather etc.

You did all that in Welsh? I'm not surprised they thought you were fluent...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Hybrids » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:28 am

Aran wrote:
You did all that in Welsh?

Yeah all in Welsh, even the word that caught me out, I asked the guy all in Welsh what it was :D

I'm still feeling chuffed.

Now I need another reason to go there next Saturday, I think my book collection is going to grow.

Leiafee, can you confirm the coffee shop opens at 9?

Thanks for all your comments :D
Hybrids
SSiW Member

Postby Lurch2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 am

I did exactly the same thing (trying to walk in then bottling out) before speaking Welsh in Ty Tawe for the first time. Well done!
Hopefully no stopping you now!

At Ty Tawe this week there is also a singing club for learners on Wednesday (during the day, alas, at quarter past two).
This week as well, apart from the Rugby on Saturday, there should be the folk music club in Ty Tawe on Friday- starts 8 o clock, always a decent night out!

And there's the Welsh group in the "Bay View" on Wednesday, start 8 o clock.
And the smaller Welsh group in the Brunswick next Sunday.

You're guaranteed to meet Welsh speakers at any of those!
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby Lurch2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

The coffee shop starts at ten (I rarely get there before eleven, but just double checked on their website!)

(Apolologies, Leia!)
Please feel free to correct my Welsh. My English, however, is beyond all hope.

Lurch2
SSiW Member

Postby faithless78 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:45 am

This is a great story! I wish I knew about this place only a few days ago when I was in Swansea myself. Maybe when I'm in town next time I'll try and find it!

Llongifarchiadau i chi am mynd ar ei gyfer! Sound like lovely people working in this place!
:D
Rwy'n gwneud SSiW Cwrs 3 (Deheuol) Gwers 25,
a SSiW Lefel 1 newydd (Deheuol) hefyd (rwy newydd gwpla Her 14).
“Falle fod e'n hen foi od i bawb arall, ond nid i fi.” DCI Mathias #ygwyll
"Weithir, rwy'n moyn yfed dy gwrw di hefyd!" SSiW Cwrs 2, Gwers 24
faithless78
SSiW Member

Postby hewrop » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:57 am

faithless78 wrote:This is a great story! I wish I knew about this place only a few days ago when I was in Swansea myself. Maybe when I'm in town next time I'll try and find it!

Llongifarchiadau i chi am mynd ar ei gyfer! Sound like lovely people working in this place!
:D

Great achievement, Phil. :clap:
Your story helps to motivate us all. :smile:
hewrop
The Magnificent Saith

Postby Hybrids » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:20 am

Lurch2 wrote:I did exactly the same thing (trying to walk in then bottling out) before speaking Welsh in Ty Tawe for the first time. Well done!
Hopefully no stopping you now!

At Ty Tawe this week there is also a singing club for learners on Wednesday (during the day, alas, at quarter past two).
This week as well, apart from the Rugby on Saturday, there should be the folk music club in Ty Tawe on Friday- starts 8 o clock, always a decent night out!

And there's the Welsh group in the "Bay View" on Wednesday, start 8 o clock.
And the smaller Welsh group in the Brunswick next Sunday.

You're guaranteed to meet Welsh speakers at any of those!

Thanks for the information Lurch!

I've seen the Swansea meet ups in Brunswick and Bay view on the forum. Its something I definitely want to do and one day I will randomly show up :smile: but at the moment, with the arrival of my new born baby I'm struggle to find any free time.

Not sure the singing is for me, well, I would love to have a go but after they hear me sing I'd probably be asked to leave :lol:
Hybrids
SSiW Member

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind