Come to Washington D.C., we have Welsh here | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Come to Washington D.C., we have Welsh here

Postby Tahl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Last night the president of our Welsh society held a reception for his cousin, the S4C / BBC rugby-and-Eisteddfod commentator Huw Llewelyn Davies, and his wife. (We're hugely lucky in how many Welsh visitors come through here, both because it's DC and because our President seems connected to everyone in Wales.)

We shocked the heck out of them by being able to provide a roomful of almost a dozen Welsh speakers, of whom half of us are learners. The look on Huw's face when he realized halfway through the (almost-all-in-Welsh) evening that Adam (RoushAH) had only been learning for eight months.... :cool: Promises were made involving evenings at the Mochyn Du in the indefinite future.

So much fun that we all stayed on hours after they'd originally planned to kick us out. :angel:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Re: Come to Washington D.C., we have Welsh here

Postby dinas » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 pm

GREAT!
"Two windows on the world are better than one...." Helena Jones

Yes I hear it!... Hiraeth - the link with the long-forgotten past, the language of the soul, the call from the inner self. Half forgotten - fraction remembered. It speaks from the rocks, from the earth, from the trees and in the waves. It's always there.
dinas
SSiW Member

Postby Cer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:18 am

We'll be up that way the end of October (depending on external circumstances, seen and unforseen, of course.)
:dafad: Please feel free to correct me. Thanks! :dafad:

:shock: = "Oh, is that how it's spelled!"

Waffling around in the Cwrs 2 vocab lessons.
Cer
SSiW Member

Postby Kinetic » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:35 am

Tahl wrote:Last night the president of our Welsh society held a reception for his cousin, the S4C / BBC rugby-and-Eisteddfod commentator Huw Llewelyn Davies, and his wife. (We're hugely lucky in how many Welsh visitors come through here, both because it's DC and because our President seems connected to everyone in Wales.)

I presume you mean the aforementioned president of the Welsh society, not the other president in DC :lol:
Clywch clywch buwch, mae dy din di ar dân / Mae rhaid chdi gau dy goesa', i gadw'r byd 'ma'n lân
Kinetic
The Illegal Cow

Postby Dee » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 am

:dawnsio: I'm looking forward to these promises involving the Mochyn Du
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind