Welshie Chats! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Re: Welshie Chats!

Postby saethwr » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:49 am

That's a really neat tip! Thank you!
Your friendly neighborhood Saethwr.

I always welcome corrections!
saethwr

Postby Penallyanne » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Went for Sunday lunch to the local pub. Sat next to us was a couple speaking to each other in Welsh. Plucking up courage I said in Welsh, "I can hear Cymraeg." We had a little chat, they were from Newcastle Emlyn and were staying in Tenby for a few days.
It was so nice to be able to start and continue a conversation for a while. They wished me luck and I invited them to our get together at the Bay Tree on Wednesday. Would be nice if they came.
Penallyanne

Postby Dee » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 pm

:seren:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Postby saethwr » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Penallyanne wrote:Went for Sunday lunch to the local pub. Sat next to us was a couple speaking to each other in Welsh. Plucking up courage I said in Welsh, "I can hear Cymraeg." We had a little chat, they were from Newcastle Emlyn and were staying in Tenby for a few days.
It was so nice to be able to start and continue a conversation for a while. They wished me luck and I invited them to our get together at the Bay Tree on Wednesday. Would be nice if they came.

That's so cool! Way to be brave!
:dawnsio:
Your friendly neighborhood Saethwr.

I always welcome corrections!
saethwr

Postby Iestyn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:40 pm

Morgs wrote:I think those guys are going to be sick of the sight of me when I move there.

Are there any concrete plans yet, Morgs? I'm really looking forward to seeing you about in the area!
The SSiW mantra: "Don't worry. If you say something slightly different to me, people will just think you are from a different area / village / street / family to them, or more likely not notice at all!"

"Do not fear going forward slowly; fear only to stand still." Chinese Proverb
Iestyn
SSi CFO

Postby Morgs » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Oh, I'm so glad you asked Iestyn, cos we exchanged contracts today! Actually decided against the house in Cwrtnewydd, and we are moving to Newcastle Emlyn on 11th October (fingers crossed). I've been dying to post something, but didn't want to come across as being 'full of myself'. Anyway, got a little place in Aberarad just outside N Emlyn (by the cheese factory)- next door neighbours are Welsh speakers. Got a job at Lampeter Uni - but not sure whether to take it, cos it's a zero hour contract. Have tried all the coffee shops in Emlyn and used my Welsh in each one. :lol:

Can I just say - I started learning Welsh with SSIW back in Nov 2011 because Tim and I were planning to move to the Wild West, and finally it appears to be happening! I really hope that my Welsh will improve now, with more opportunities to practice - if only with the butchers Dewi James who are so sweet to me (and to everyone else - they're so friendly and supportive of learners).

Was just looking on the forum for the name of the girl who lives close to Llandysul (I think she went on the last bootcamp) - was going to message her to ask her about any meet up's around Llandysul or Emlyn. Definitely going to enrol on a Welsh course too - if only to make new friends. :smile:
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby Aran » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:56 am

Morgs wrote:I started learning Welsh with SSIW back in Nov 2011 because Tim and I were planning to move to the Wild West, and finally it appears to be happening!

:seren:

And that's what determination and focus gets you... :party:
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Tahl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 am

Morgs wrote:Was just looking on the forum for the name of the girl who lives close to Llandysul (I think she went on the last bootcamp) - was going to message her to ask her about any meet up's around Llandysul or Emlyn. Definitely going to enrol on a Welsh course too - if only to make new friends. :smile:

I think you mean Ros (toulouse2 on SSIW).

I'm excited for you (and more than a little envious)! Lovely place, new adventures ahead -- and the culmination of your long-held plans. :D

The first time I was in West Wales, I looked at the landscape and thought: "Oh. Those backdrops in Sam Tân, with rolling green hills peeping up above the houses and the end of any given High Street . . . those aren't caricatures, are they?" :cool:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby Morgs » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:06 pm

Thanks Aran. I will be taking the language of the Gogs to the Wild West with me! :lol:

Thanks Diane - yes, it is Ros I was looking for. You're a star.
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby Morgs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am

Well, we have now moved into Newcastle Emlyn and I can't praise the people in the town enough for their encouragement...the chaps in the builders yard, the man in the decorating shop and of course, my friends in the butchers (even tho I don't eat much meat) - everyone has been SO encouraging when I have used my Welsh.

Even tho my Welsh has consisted of things like 'ga i un box o wood screws' or dwi eisio peintio yr wal, felly dwi angen tin o beint', :lol: they have been so friendly, replied slowly and clearly for me. Fab! i feel 100% Welsh now. a big thank you to the ladies in the cafe in Bala too - was lovely to hear Gog Welsh and to understand it a bit more easily than Southern Welsh...(I've been doing the Northern course.

Oh, and the receptionist in Lampeter Uni (where I am hoping to work) who spoke slowly and clearly for me...
And thank you SSIW for helping me on my way - couldn't have done it without you. shame I don't have broadband at the moment and can't download any practice sessions - coming online means sitting in the garden with a dongle (walls are too thick in the house for the dongle to work!).
Morgs
SSiW Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind