Welshie Chats! | If SSIW is helping you, why not help us? Get DAILY lessons: Become an SSIW Member!

Tell us about the fun you've had trying to use your Welsh...:-)

Welshie Chats!

Postby saethwr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:09 am

S'mae, pawb!

So I've had a couple of Skype dates with my fluent Welsh speaking friend, Sarah, since I last posted in here, and what news! During the first meeting I didn't speak a lot of Welsh because I was so nervous, and part of that anxiety was over whether or not I would understand what she was saying to me! At one point in the middle of our conversation she said, "Hey wait! Pam wyt ti ddim yn siarad Cymraeg efo fi?!" and I was so surprised that I understood every word and managed to reply without making a complete ass out of myself. I told her that I was too nervous, she told me not to be, I said I didn't speak very well yet, and she shouted "DON'T LIE!" in Welsh at me. It was brilliant. She actually told me that I spoke very well, and was doing much better than the students she teaches in school who sometimes struggle with introducing themselves! Ha!

Our second Skype date was today, and we spoke much more Welsh than before, but didn't adhere to a "paid Saesneg" rule at all. She said that we'll work on it gradually until we only speak Welsh. I'm looking forward to it. Anyhow, I felt a little more confident, I spoke much more, I understood everything she said to me, and she taught me a couple of new words to boot! She complimented me a lot and was so patient and encouraging, telling me that she seriously thought I was getting on better than kids in some of her classes, which I found partly sad and partly confidence-boosting. She's impressed! And so pleased, because she doesn't live in a Welsh-speaking area anymore, so she loves to have more people to talk to. (I think I might convince her to sign up for FfrindIaith)

So there we are! I'm feeling more and more confident with my speaking abilities, and Sarah is a huge, huge help and a stellar support system. I don't know why I was so afraid! Haha!

An added fun part is that today I was sitting in a park with my friend while talking with Sarah, and there were a couple of times where we both had lapsed back into English, and my friend, Laurel, said "MORE WELSH!" She became the whip-cracker even though she couldn't understand! Heehee.

:dawnsio:
Your friendly neighborhood Saethwr.

I always welcome corrections!
saethwr

Re: Welshie Chats!

Postby Aran » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 am

saethwr wrote:(I think I might convince her to sign up for FfrindIaith)

It sounds as though she already has, to all intents and purposes!...:star:

And well done you!...:seren:

That's a huge step forward, and it will help you turn into a confident Welsh speaker far faster than would otherwise have been the case. Sarah's absolutely right about letting it flow until you're comfortable - just keep an eye on how much you're staying in Welsh, and try to make sure that it's always a little longer, and you'll do brilliantly...:D
Loan $25 somewhere worthwhile with the SSiW Kiva team
Forum Guidelines | How far have you got with SSiW? Let us know HERE
Aran
SSi CEO

Postby Tahl » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 am

saethwr wrote:Our second Skype date was today, and we spoke much more Welsh than before, but didn't adhere to a "paid Saesneg" rule at all. She said that we'll work on it gradually until we only speak Welsh. I'm looking forward to it. Anyhow, I felt a little more confident, I spoke much more, I understood everything she said to me, and she taught me a couple of new words to boot! She complimented me a lot and was so patient and encouraging, telling me that she seriously thought I was getting on better than kids in some of her classes, which I found partly sad and partly confidence-boosting. She's impressed! And so pleased, because she doesn't live in a Welsh-speaking area anymore, so she loves to have more people to talk to. (I think I might convince her to sign up for FfrindIaith)

So there we are! I'm feeling more and more confident with my speaking abilities, and Sarah is a huge, huge help and a stellar support system. I don't know why I was so afraid! Haha!

Sounds like you couldn't ask for a better situation. Da iawn, Sarah. :star:
Currently working on: SSIW Course 3, Lesson 21 (Southern);
SSIS Course 1, Lesson 19; SSIS MFSA Tourist Spanish, Lesson 10.
Tahl
SSiW Angel

Postby saethwr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

Diolch yn fawr!!

It's been so nice to finally use it and realize that I'm a lot better at understanding the language and responding relatively naturally than I thought I would be. I'm so excited to speak more! And I'll take your advice to be aware of how much I'm speaking so I can push myself a little further, Aran. I'm sure Sarah will help keep me on track too! :D

saethwr

Postby Colettet » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Well done -- don't know about you but I struggle along stuttering etc and then all of a sudden say something in Welsh without thinking and it is such a buzz !!! I also start conversations and then find I haven't got the vocab to finish them .... less of a buzz :lol:

Great though -- I can hear by your post how much you enjoyed it and that you are feeling more confident -- onwards and upwards hey ??? :clap:

Enjoy the next session. :hengi:
Thanks to everyone for their help. Course 2 -- just started lesson 21
Colettet
SSiW Member

Location: Liverpool mainly but part of the year in Glynarthen

Postby saethwr » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Diolch Colette!

I haven't had too much trouble with stuttering but I definitely have had trouble with vocabulary. It's getting better though! Thank goodness.

saethwr

Postby chwaer wiwer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Llongfarchiadau!! :clap: :clap:

Happy to hear it all turned out what sounds so perfectly! Well done to the both of you! :)

It's an inspiration to hear these stories, makes one wanna do more and more.
On instagram: wiwer_

:cariad: Sweden is my heartland :cariad: .......... :dafad: Wales is my sisterland :dafad:
chwaer wiwer

Postby saethwr » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Doesn't it? I think this section is my favorite part of the forum. I definitely find it encouraging!

saethwr

Postby Morgs » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:47 am

Just to let everyone know that if they are in Newcastle Emlyn, the chaps in Dewi James butchers on the main street are very supportive of learners. I popped in to buy something for tea and got hesitantly chatting to the shopkeeper. When he found out I was learning, he told everyone in the shop - they all turned round to say well done, ask how long I had been learning, why etc. I think those guys are going to be sick of the sight of me when I move there. Honestly - I came out with a huge smile on my face cos they were so welcoming and encouraging.
Morgs
SSiW Member

Postby Dee » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 am

Morgs wrote:Just to let everyone know that if they are in Newcastle Emlyn, the chaps in Dewi James butchers on the main street are very supportive of learners. I popped in to buy something for tea and got hesitantly chatting to the shopkeeper. When he found out I was learning, he told everyone in the shop - they all turned round to say well done, ask how long I had been learning, why etc. I think those guys are going to be sick of the sight of me when I move there. Honestly - I came out with a huge smile on my face cos they were so welcoming and encouraging.

:star:
Dee
Archdderwydd SSiW

Next

Return to Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind